2-player split-screen 3D shooter out now on the App Store!

I blog a little here about the thinking behind the game mechanic:

http://saltpigmedia.com/blog/Beware-the-Banjax-is-out-now

Purchased and not experienced any crashes

Hmmm not sure what happened there - rest of post was cut off. Anyway -enjoying it - good solid and responsive play! Any updates planned? Have a bunch of suggestions if you like

@West thanks for the purchase! Yeah, I do have a bunch of ideas, both cosmetic and gameplay related, such as different vehicles and environments (essentially skins), maze areas with different physical properties (ice / glue etc), lots of extra weapons, a tutorial for players who aren’t used to twin-sticks, different levels of ai competency etc. What were your ideas? All suggestions welcome!

I’m in the top 5 Touch Arcade “Hot New Games”, paid category:

screenshot

Not bad considering number 4 is “THE MOST-FUNDED GAME IN KICKSTARTER HISTORY” :wink:

Yes, looks like you already have most of them covered. One suggestion would be to add the configure options to the main menu and for it to retain your choice. I found it went back to the 3rd person view when starting a new game. Other suggestions would be teleport pads, one way pads, speed boosters and traps (fire pits / spinners which turned you to a random direction). Finally different game modes - capture the flag, hold territory, etc would be interesting.

for it to retain your choice. I found it went back to the 3rd person view when starting a new game.

Yeah its meant to. Separate settings are saved for player 1 (the bottom viewport) and player 2 (the top viewport). It works for me, I’m a bit worried that isn’t working for you. ie start a game, hit pause, select overhead view for one of the players. Then force-quit the app, start a new game, and that player will begin in overhead view.

Great idea with the game modes, capture the flag etc. I’ll look into that.

Tried again. Same thing. Note I am playing single player mode

Start 1 player game…hit pause…select Bird’s eye view. Play out game. Start next 1 player game and it’s back to 3rd person.

@West Ok, I see what you mean about it not saving the camera preference, weird that it only affects 1 player mode. I’ll get on it. Thanks to @West and @piinthesky for reporting the issue!

EDIT ok I fixed it. A single brace not in the right place :slight_smile: this was also the reason why, in 1 player mode, sometimes the settings panel would say it was in mode B, whereas it was actually mode C or whatever. Update should be out soon. Thanks again.

My boys are playing Banjax with split screen. They give it 4.75 out of 5 stars and a comment of, “TERRIFIC!”

Glad that they like it! That reminds me, I really should try and get the update finished…

Can you actually make a 3D game in codea?

Yes, I have made a number of 3D prototype games to see what can be done

@alexorem the evidence is on this thread :slight_smile:

But yes, do look at @Ignatz books on 3D and shaders. It is a lot of work as things like lighting, asset import, physics etc have to be coded from scratch. In some ways, it’s a lot easier to get up and running in Unity or Apple’s SceneKit, where a complex lighting effect (eg normal mapping), or proper 3D physics, can be added with one line of code (or even just dragging and dropping in the GUI), freeing you up to focus on gameplay.

But with SceneKit or Unity of course, you can’t code on the iPad, and you don’t have the wonderful immediacy of seeing your results the instant you hit that play button in the bottom right corner B)

Heya, just a heads-up that Banjax is now free on the App Store, enjoy:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/banjax/id1084565170

This looks like an awesome game to play with friends!

Will give it a go, thank you!