Z80 Assembler

I recently picked up a TI-83 Plus Silver Edition calculator at a flea market for $10. I got it so I could write Z80 assembler code on it. In order to do that, I have to write all the assembler instructions on paper and then convert everything to hex bytes. Then I have to enter the hex bytes in the calculator and compile it. I was wondering if anyone has tried to write a z80 compiler using Codea. I’m not thinking of a full fledged compiler because I don’t plan on writing anything big. I don’t want to key in a lot of hex bytes. I know I can do everything on a PC and download the code to the calculator, but that’s too easy. Maybe I’ll give it a try and see how far I get before I lose interest.

Just finishing up a semester of MIPS and x86 assembly code programming. Enough of that for me for now - I’d like to have time to get all dirty in high-level Codea programming :slight_smile:

There are numerous open source z80 compilers available online, so you could try to learn how assemblers work from those. If you just want to write programs without a computer, I would highly recommend Mimas, an on-calc assembler and IDE. If you want/need more calculator help, feel free to drop by Cemetech, a website and forum dedicated to graphing calculator programming and hacking.

@Ivoah Thanks for the links, I’ll have a look at them. I was just looking for something that gives the hex values when compiling z80 instructions. I wrote something with Codea that gives me what I’m after. I add new instructions as I need them. The hard part is keying the hex into the calculator. Mimas look interesting.