working cloth simulation

[[ I’m working this example and it seems very interesting, any suggestions for future thoughts?? thanks ]]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmRqKngGXjE&feature=youtu.be

Looks really promising! A few suggestions:

• I’d investigate (if you haven’t already done so) some sort of per-vertex ‘rigidity map’ ie. a simple normalised value per vertex that is a simple multiplier of how far each vertex moves per simulation step. You can then use this to influence how much the cloth moves across its length (I.e it could be clamped at one end (rigidity = 0) with values increasing to 1 at the other). This should give you a more realistic effect with the cloth looking like its ‘tethered’ at one end - although there are lots of other applications for this.

• it looks like you have no shear (lateral movement) or stretch/compression (relationship between adjacent vertices) in your simulation model. These will allow the vertices to move at different velocities and make things look less rigid.

Both these features will give more convincing results and allow you to simulate a variety of materials. I.e. at a simplistic level, it’s why a thin rubber sheet doesn’t behave or look like silk/ shiffon when stuck to a flag pole on a windy day! :wink:

Ok thanks for the suggestion @andymac3d