What others do: Pythonista

I’m not sure what use a mouse would be - there’s no pointer, and none of the software on the ipad was written to use a mouse.

My ipad is jailbroken, and I have used a wii controller as a video game controller with MAME - that’s kinda neat. But I’ve never seen a mouse used.

In any event - there’s still a ton of other differences, you’d need a rewrite, even in pythonista. And you’re unlikely to see that, because Pythonista (and Codea) already have libraries that perform the same functionality.

Few days ago, new app like Codea came to app store. It’s called ScriptKit and it’s really cool. .@Simeon you should check it and get inspired. (http://scriptk.it)

@i couldnt resist my old ways and pirated the iap to edit, its quite a beautiful and powerful tool so i think ill be purchasing it

EDIT: i was ashamed of myself and deleted the app to get rid of the pirated iap

Inspiration can be a two-way street. There is a long list of things that Codea does well that ScriptKit version 1.01 does not, even before Codea version 1.5 makes its mark.

First of all, some people seem worried about Codea… Haha. Good one. As far as O can tell, Codea is doing much better than these other iPad IDEs out there, but there is always room to improve (not much anymore, though).
Two things that Codea could learn from this app is making Codea a universal app and the ability to export to Xcode.
Thanks!

@Zoyt - I concur…Codea is still ahead of the curve on a number of levels. A more streamlined and seamless Xcode export and vastly improved audio handling would really be really really useful (although all these iPad IDE’s tend to struggle with supporting the latter)

Hello @Zoyt. ScriptKit version 1.01 is for iPad only and can not export to Xcode.

.@mpilgrem realize that ScriptKit is out only few days. Export to Xcode coming in the next release. Codea seems still better but there are some features whitch have “borrow”

I’ve been using the unlocked version of ScriptKit for a few days, and have read the example projects, the in-app documentation and the contents of its web site. My review of it is based on that.

I’m a bit surprised that scriptkit was allowed to use Apple UI bits - it was my understanding that was a rejectable offense, or was earlier.

Self-hosted languages for the ipad are not a zero-sum game, with one winner and everyone else a loser. In a healthy market, there will be many contenders, each with strengths and weaknesses, and if we’re lucky they’ll all “be inspired” heavily by their competition.

I think one of Codea’s strengths, at least for me, has very little to do with the app - it’s this discussion board, and the community that’s grown around it. I’m a bit of a language whore - I’ll program in anything if need be. I bought Codea, and Pythonista, and a handful of GLSL toolkits, and I may buy scriptkit (dunno $20 is not cheap) - but I don’t expect to find a place I can ask questions or make observations and have a diverse, intelligent crowd comment like you do here. Pythonista just added a forum, and has some good examples - but I haven’t seen activity there like you do here. And a community like this doesn’t appear overnight - Codea’s has grown. It remains to be seen if the other communities will grow as well.

I bought Pythonista about one month ago and I have been working with it.

• As it was said, it has a huge standard library: for example since there was a problem with plistlib, I could easily use Json format instead because it supported that too. I guess it is important because it gives your more tools to use.

• when I bought codea and came to the this forum it sounded weird to me to code on IPhone. But I have been doing this for weeks an it is, more or less, ok! Of course not easy as iPad but really helpful when you do not have access to iPad. You can test “mini” things and then develop them on iPad. And because I don’t have a Mac it is the only way I can run my apps on iPhone. Let me say something about using IPhone: for me, iPhone is always with you, in your pocket and so I guess “It will become a part of ur body after a while”. I guess it is crucial to be able to run “your own” codes on a device this close to you and almost always with you.

• one thing that no one seemed to mention is the Layer concept in Pythonista. It is very usefull. U can add sub layers, super layers and changes properties of all of them very quickly. It makes the codeing very easy.

• and Xcode export.

• but there are shortcomings too: for example, as I requested on the Pythonista forum, there is no keyboard acess when a scene is running, an access which I think is very crucial. Still no camera access (it is supposed to be in Codea 1.5 I guess). No 3D. And I don’t know if the graphics, as we know in codea, are meshes or sprites since I guess sprites make the performance somehow sluggish. Also I really use setContext a lot and I miss it’s simplicity in Pyhtonista. (although Pyhtonista has some kind of equivalent)

• and I feel it must be said that: I was not telling Pythonista is better or worse. I was just comparing. Actually I didn’t know lua nor python months ago, but now I am codeing on both Codea and Pythonista to see what features each one can offer.

• sorry for the long post!

Maybe not the right place but have you guys seen Lisping? I think it is the first IDe that gives codea a run for its money

Is Xcode what you need to upload to the app store? and what is better?
Pythonista or Python 3.4?