What are you working on?

Yeah - I got nuthin’. I know HOW to sift my eyes and I can “SEE” the largest constructions of the image, but nothing else. For example, is it the word “Codea” inthe image Andrew added? I think that’s what I see. And certainy not in color!

I’m working on a turn-based rpg game.

1. Bull Puckey – I’m submitting this to the store this week, even though the snake and prarie dog are currently absent (eh, I’ll get 'em in an update). And I took out the music, not because there was something wrong with @Fred’s music player, but because I just couldn’t find anything I liked and don’t have the skill to create it.

2. SCRAM – a 1-player word game that’s played like Scrabble or Words with Friends, except that the goal is to lay down a path of words that leads you to the next screen. (90% done)

3. OnTopic – a meeting / conference scheduler & timer. Written mostly because my own meetings just kept running too long.

4. Cider – just got an update out there to work with Codea 1.5 and write code to a tab (and also fix a metric ton of bugs), but now I want to add features that will allow you to generate forms handling / data collection with the flip of a switch.

5. Really Big Space Game – I’m going to buckle down on a web-hosted persistent space strategy game that rewards exploration and discovery as well as combat and development. With a Codea front end on the iPad, you’ll be able to take your empire where ever you go.

Working on a space invaders type game with a twist

http://youtu.be/AosjC4Ly4-M

Whats nice with Codea is that you can write a lot of small ideas. My project list is a mess.

The latest projects are, ships in formation dividing the fleet with multitouch and friendly fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI-8_FzAjkU&sns=em

A paint program
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Soha6mZmVkk&feature=plcp

Generating clouds and a UI lib with support for pinch gesture that snaps to borders
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IqRNT23v8iY&feature=plcp

.@Andrew_Stacey yeah I know about the z buffer problem, I was going to do it purely as an exercise, it’s like my shadow mapping, it’s wrong because of the z buffer, but was still a fun exercise to get working.

As to generating straight from the model, to do this in shaders I presume the only approach would be to have a full screen rect mesh and pass the scene in encoded into a texture and do all the work in a fragment shader. This would be consistent with the approach taken for ray tracing shaders. I think the main difficulty would be the complexity of the fragment shader and overly abusing loops and ifs…

Working on a full screen glass display system to navigate and fly simulator airplanes in X-plane.
X-plane is obviously running on an external computer (iMac) so I have written a server in RealBasic that takes the UDP output/input from X-plane and serves a text file so Codea can receive it via http.request.
All the essential parts are working (and fast enough) but I am re-writing to improve the graphics design and not use any sprites, only generated objects.
I may put a screendump here when it is a little more polished, but I am quite happy with the design at this stage :-).
Having a lot of fun with it. And that is the main purpose…
Re Peter

I’m working on an Svg/Xml parser, which takes any Svg (preferably from Adobe Illustrator, but you can use any other from web, etc.) and draws everything on Screen. Optionally auto-physics can be applied/activated (debug view is also available). Everything works from Dropbox, within ONE line of code.

I’m working on two things. The first, an educational math game for 2nd to 3rd graders.
The parts I have working is A-Star pathfinding, a tile based mesh grid for the map and character movement. The problem is, I was learning LUA and Codea at the same time and it is a bit of a mess now. Need to clean it up an rewrite my project. Need to do it right because this is the basis for a bigger project.

The second one is a mash-up of a tile based, exploratory Rogue lite thing. I don’t want to let the cat out of the bag…as I am at least 6 months off and I am a bad estimator, but the IDEAS are flying and I must do one thing at a time. I think I am going to blog about it to keep me motivated, and maybe create some interest in the game. You cant market it too early. :slight_smile:

scatterbraincc - Mage Knight looks awesome, but alas I would have to play solo. I was a huge board gamer in my youth (ASL, War in the Pacific, Modern Navel Battles, Titan, and SFB, Accquire, and the be all of games DUNE. All Hail Dune). /end geek rant

3 things (sorry, this is going to be a wall of text):

1. apclass: A class implementation that is backwards compatible with Codea’s class(), plus the ability to use mixins, optional debug names, access to class and superclass objects from class instance, a flexible property synthesization system (with optional get/set method synthesization and optional ivar initilization for properties), copy-on-set semantics for property types that implement the ‘copy’ method, assign semantics for property types that implement the ‘assign’ method (optimization), and patches for Codea types to add copy/assign semantics to Codea ‘value’ types (color, vec2, vec3). Example:

MyClass = Class()

-- synthesize a property called 'myProperty',
-- initialized to 'Hello World!'
MyClass:property{'myProperty', init='Hello World!'}
MyClass:property{'color', type='color', init=color(255)}

function MyClass:init()
    -- you can access initialized ivar here:
    print(self._myProperty)
    print(self._color)

end

-- elsewhere:

local o = MyClass()
-- use setters and getters:
o:setMyProperty('set!')
print(o:myProperty())
-- supports Codea's variable function signatures
o:setColor(128, 128, 128)
print(o:color())

I’ve been using apclass for quite awhile now and it’s pretty mature, so I will likely be sharing this in the coming weeks.

1. appkg: A module/package loading system for Codea, somewhat inspired by the Common.js spec. Features: ability to import/load any Lua file from any project (as well as Documents, Temp, and Caches folders) into your program without including it as a dependency, explicit module dependency loading and management (via import() function), ability to load files in a sandboxed environment (using load() function; great for loading data files), helpful error reporting with useful stack tracebacks on errors, no accidental implicit variable assignment to globals table from within a module (implicit global variables are added to the module’s environment table instead, which is returned by default from import() if the module doesn’t return anything explicitly; you can still use _G to set global variables), implicit global variable read access (so global variable reads don’t need to be prefixed by _G), and other misc features. Example:
-- we have to wrap the file in a function to keep Codea from
-- executing our module code on startup
function()

-- import some other file from this project;
-- module is provided with 'this' method
-- so you don't have to explicitly qualify this
-- project's name:
local LocalClass = import(this 'LocalClass')

-- import a class from another project
local SomeClass = import('OtherProject:SomeClass')

-- use SomeClass
local MyClass = class(SomeClass)

function MyClass:init()
    -- do stuff or whatever
end

-- MyClass will be returned from import()
return MyClass end

I’m not quite ready to share this yet, but will be very soon even though it is early, because I am interested in feedback. This should be along in the coming weeks as well too.

1. apui: a UI framework inspired by UIKit and Webkit. It takes advantage of the previous 2 libraries to enable a ton of useful features: a useful MVC abstraction, ability to create complex views (with event handling and outlet connections to view controllers) from templates (similar to xcode’s NIB files), a layout engine similar to HTML5’s box model with a heirarchical scene graph for views, transitions, and more. This project is in its infancy, though it’s already showing a lot of promise. I’ve got template loading working, including automatic connection of outlets and events to view controllers, as well as a few basic views and controls (View, Label, Button), with more to come.

I’ve started working on an extended precision arithmetic library since I really want to have 64-bit double precision in some cases. I had one false start but fell down when I got to division, so I’m starting over with division using a different underlying representation of the numbers. Once that’s working, the other arithmetic operations should be relatively easy.

A game called GlowBall, and an HTML5 library to make HTML5 app in a Codea-like API. For instance, use rect to draw a rectangle.

.@Zoyt HTML5: will you go as far as making a codea-script interpreter (without mexh)? That would be great, cause it would be easier to distribute our apps (for free).

.@Zoyt have you checked out my small example of using lua.js to make a Codea Runtime? http://www.twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/2259/building-a-html-runtime-for-codea#Item_1

@Jmv38 - I was going to, but then, I thought it was too much work because I couldn’t find many good libraries for reading Lua code, but what @tnlogy mentioned might be pretty easy. I’ll look into it a little more.