WebRepo 2.0 - Easy access to projects from the Codea community

Updated: 25th Feb 2023

Latest WebRepo Project Download

WebRepo Web Interface

New projects and updates will be announced automatically in this thread.

The WebRepo project allows you to browse projects stored on the community repository, download, update and submit your own projects directly from the WebRepo project.

• All projects downloaded are made available for editing like every other project in Codea. Note that local changes will be erased when the project is updated using WebRepo so I suggest renaming it if you plan to make modifications.
  • The powerful search functionality allows you to search project names, descriptions & authors to find the project youā€™re looking for.
  • Functions on both iPad & iPhone and will scale with available screen space.

Please let me know of any feature requests or bugs you may find here on the forums.

Submitting a project

To submit a project, fill in the required fields on the Submit New Project screen (these are saved between launches). Once youā€™ve filled it all in hit the ā€˜Upload & Submitā€™ button and wait for it to tell you itā€™s done!

Once submitted, your project will not be available until an Admin approves your project. Iā€™ll endeavour to get this done within 24 hours but if it takes much longer feel free to leave a comment on the Codea forum.

The only limitations imposed are:

• The project must be in a working state.
  • The project must include an Icon image.
  • Assets required must be included within the project itself, builtin assets from Codea or downloaded at runtime. No external asset packs please. We are not limited by the forumā€™s 2MB limit so large projects should be fine.
  • Projects of an illegal, malicious, unethical or inappropriate nature will be ignored.

Cheers,
Steppers

Outdated Post

Hi all,

As many of you will know by now, Iā€™ve been working on the Codea Community Repository and its associated project WebRepo which allows users to browse and download projects directly from the community repository.

Iā€™m pleased to announce that WebRepo 2.0 has now been released! :smile:

The WebRepo project allows users to browse projects stored on the community repository, download, update and launch them directly from the WebRepo project itself.

• All projects downloaded are made available for editing like every other project in Codea. Note that local changes will be erased when the project is updated using WebRepo so I suggest renaming it if you plan to make modifications.
  • The powerful search functionality allows you to search project names, descriptions & authors to find the project youā€™re looking for.
  • Functions on both iPad & iPhone and will scale with available screen space.

Iā€™m sure there will be many updates to come but for the time being Iā€™d like to focus on filling this as much as we can so get those projects coming in! Old. New. It doesnā€™t matter.

Please add any feature requests or bugs you may find as issues on Github so we can keep track of them. Feel free to comment on this discussion too but itā€™s far easier to track using Github.

Submitting a project

To submit a project, fill in the required fields on the Submit New Project screen (these are saved between launches). Once youā€™ve filled it all in hit the ā€˜Upload & Submitā€™ button and wait for it to tell you itā€™s done!

Once submitted, your project will not be available until an Admin approves your project. Iā€™ll endeavour to get this done within 24 hours but if it takes much longer feel free to leave a comment on the Codea forum.

The only limitations imposed are:

• The project must be in a working state.
  • The project must include an Icon image.
  • Assets required must be included within the project itself, builtin assets from Codea or downloaded at runtime. No external asset packs please. We are not limited by the forumā€™s 2MB limit so large projects should be fine.
  • Projects of an illegal, malicious, unethical or inappropriate nature will be ignored.

Cheers all,

Steppers

1 Like

This is going to be awesome.

I ran Westā€™s side scroller and it kept suddenly turning into different games. The first time it turned into his trench run and the second time it turned into a slashing game.

This is amazing @Steppers!

Feels like something we should have built into Codea

@Steppers is it possible to make updating manual instead of automatic, like showing a badge or something on the listing icon if thereā€™s an update?

I know itā€™s more of a pain to program.

Thanks both!

@UberGoober Now thatā€™s a bug I hadnā€™t seen before! Itā€™s because I hadnā€™t cleared out some of the input callbacks the WebRepo project uses so the tap events were still going to the project browserā€¦ If you run the WebRepo project again it should autoupdate with the fix.

As for the updates, thatā€™s something Iā€™d like to add more control over similarly to how you describe. That and being able to delete projects from the browser are the main things I have my eye on at the moment. I assume you havenā€™t run into any apps needing to be updated though yet? Nothingā€™s changed in the repo to trigger an update at least.

@Steppers great work.

Iā€™ve got a few old projects I donā€™t mind sharing. Most of them have been developed on the iPad, and not checked to see if they work on the iPhone. Iā€™ll drip feed them into here when I can. Many of these are half games and playthings Iā€™ve put together to either learn Codea or for my kids.

Here is the first one:

Name: Wrigglies
Description: Side scrolling diamond munching worm game
Author: West
Version: 1.0
Stand Alone?: Yes

Other info: Graphically inspired by ā€œBabyā€™s Very First Fingertrail Play Book Gardenā€ book: https://youtu.be/pGTeq0GItVM

@West Thanks! Iā€™ll take a look and see if I can get that one added too. Thereā€™s an awful lot of ā€˜Westā€™ on there at the moment :wink:

As for the iPad vs iPhone thing the thought had crossed my mind so It may be worth me adding something to the listings to indicate if a project is intended for either. That way you know what youā€™re getting into at least.

@West You should see it appear in the WebRepo now.

It plays really nicely. I like it!

@Steppers I appreciate there is a whole bunch of my stuff - donā€™t want to flood it, but these are the ones I have to hand.

In terms of others not by me - there is this nice butterfly demo: https://codea.io/talk/discussion/9472/butterflies

@West Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m not complaining. The more the merrier!

Iā€™ll check it out, looks pretty nice.

Hereā€™s another - this one from 2012 from Pepe EnguƃĀ­danos (pepinganos) - a tiny wings type game. Iā€™ve updated to remove warnings but code unchanged.

Original thread here:
https://codea.io/talk/discussion/1267/little-jumping-thing

@West Wrigglies is great! Really sweet and charming.

@Steppers hereā€™s a project I found on the forums that demonstrates height maps, but the code in the original post wonā€™t run without a heightmap added to it. I altered it to use the heightmap included in the Surfaces asset pack, and now it runs fine.

Name: Infinite Heightmap Terrain

Description: Good performance using single heightmap tile.

Author: spacemonkey

Version: ? I think version information is going to be near impossible to find for the great majority of projects, if you ask me thereā€™s not a lot of value to tracking this, especially on old projects mined from these forums

iPad, iPhone or both: both

Standalone or library: Stand-alone

LICENSE.txt: none and personally I think this is an enormous can of worms. I think itā€™s much better to make clear up front ā€œif you share a project to WebRepo itā€™s exactly the same as posting it on the forumsā€”there is no binding license agreement at all.ā€ Making people feel like they have to track down explicit license agreements before they use any code in these projects would have a chilling effect on sharing, for example, I wouldnā€™t feel right about sharing spacemonkeyā€™s code like this, and that kind of over-cautiousness ruins the whole point.

Forum discussion: https://codea.io/talk/discussion/5786/heightfield-terrain-very-large-with-good-performance

@UberGoober Thanks! Iā€™ll take a look and get it added.

With the versioning I agree, most will just be 1.0 and probably stay like that forever, it was more or less added as it was so easy to.

Thinking about it now I think youā€™re probably right about the licence stuff. I figured Iā€™d just give people the option but as you say it could over complicate things. Anybody else have opinions on this? If not Iā€™ll remove it and do as UberGoober suggests above.

@West I adjusted the font sizes and placement on People Popper so that it reads legibly on the iPhone, please let me know if it looks ok to you.

Previously the text was all way too big and it all overlapped and I couldnā€™t tell what the goal was.

Gameplay doesnā€™t seem to work on iPhone though, which I canā€™t suss out how to fix, but at least it will be clear how itā€™s supposed to work.

Hereā€™s a project Iā€™ve had a ton of fun just playing around withā€”especially with pressure sensitivity added.

Itā€™s originally by @JakAttak, and contributed to by @West, @Jmv38, and me, so I donā€™t know how you credit that.

Name: Wrigglers? I think JakAttak wanted to call it Wriggle Room.

Description: Swipe around and watch them wriggle!

Author: see above

iPad, iPhone or both: both

Standalone or library: Stand-alone

Forum discussion: https://www.codea.io/talk/discussion/4760/reverse-bounce

Hi guys, impressive accumulation but you are missing three of the better demos from the old master. @Ignatz posted a 3D dungeon, 3D fighter plane demo and a 3D walk around village. Not forgetting his 3D race game and the sea war. Iā€™m sure he wouldnā€™t complain if you posted them.

@UberGoober the text is too big for my iPad pro screen - can no longer see the instructions.

Probably the simplest way to make it universal would be to replace the fontSize(x) with fontSize(x*(WIDTH/1366)). Might need a math.ceil in there too - donā€™t know if non integers work with fontSize

@West thatā€™s exactly what I did. Thatā€™s in my zip. Up there.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Iā€™m slowly working my way through these when I get the chance so keep them coming. Iā€™ll get them all in eventually :slight_smile:

@UberGoober Just given ā€˜People Popper+ā€˜ a quick test on iPhone. It seems legible now and does seem to function correctly. though the scores may need to be offset using layout.safeArea.top to avoid a notch.