Version 1.4.5

Oops! My mistake. Thanks @Simeon

I have strane performance issues too but not only while executing programs, even while writing programs. Yesterday I was using Codea just after the update and after a while the editor (or better the whole program) has become far slower then before, with a sensible delay whilemwriting or copying and pasting ecc. that disappeared only after closing and opening again codea. It’s like some thread or process gets hung in background slowing down everything…

@shrike I think you might be right, the autocomplete system was re-designed between 1.4.4 and 1.4.5, it might have triggered some issues.

Simeon, I very much appreciate that you want to make things neat, all though I do not understand the reason why ex udp should not be decired. Again I am an end user…
My simple goal is to collect data from a server sending them using the udp protocol, and reversing when I have something to send. The data I collect are coming in that form directly from the program I wish to communicate with, however I am able to put my own server in between.
To my understanding udp is pure memory based. So not being possible at the moment, instead I have set up an Apache server and let my data update both ways reqding and writing to open files in the Apache folder. It works but from what I hear this is bad programming to read and write to a disk file every second or so. Also my solution is only a “work around” and must stay in house. Maybe there are other ways, or I have misunderstood the concept.
Re Peter

@macflyerdk I want to include UDP functionality — I have nothing against including that. However I don’t want to simply attach the LuaSocket library to Codea, I’d rather design something that is more in spirit with the way Codea works.

I have also performance issues:

• Typing is very slow sometimes.

• It looks like my Mandelbrot calculation got slower. First I thought it is something in my code, but after reading this it could be the update. I have saved the old calculation time in a comment and it was 11 seconds for a full resolution. Now it is 14 seconds.

I have restarded Codea and also the complete iPad 3, which didnt help.

Can I somehow revert to an older version? I’m going on vacation for a week and wanted to code on the ipad… but currently it is nearly not possible, as typing is so slow. Maybe it depends on where in the code i type. i just opened cargo bot to test it there. typing on top of the first file is ok, but on the bottom is very slow.

Or can i disable code completion? Maybe some config file, i could make changes there with phone disk.

I just reverted to version 1.4.3 that i had synchronized on the pc 2 month ago

if you don’t know how to do it, here is how i did:

-1/ save your data: with iFile copy the ‘documents’ folder of codea in some other app (thanks to the jailbreak gods)

-2/ suppress your codea app from the ipad

-3/ connect the ipad to the pc and synchronize with iTunes (yeeeach!)

-4/ two hours later, when big brother gives you back the commands on your own stuff, (that comment was unecessary, but it feels soooo good…) drag and drop the codea app from the itune app panel to your ipad screen panel, let itune install it on the ipad

-5/ disconnect the ipad from the pc

-6/ delete the ‘documents’ folder from codea folder (with iFiles)

-7/ copy back the ‘documents’ folder from where you had saved it to codea (with iFiles)

it is not as long as it looks in my description (the only long and painful part is itune’s)

Works fine for me up to now. And i am back to 60 fps in my game!

Thanks for that guide, but i dont have an old version in itunes :frowning:

.@KilamMalik what version were you on before you updated to 1.4.5?

Edit: I think I know where those performance issues came from. I will have them fixed after 1.4.6 (which is a necessary interim patch to remove the beta stuff).

I had 1.4.4.

@Jmv38, @KilamMalik you could use i-funbox (it exists for mac os and windows) that allows to browse ipad file system and also to install apps directly, so you can avoid the ‘2 hours later’ step :slight_smile: