Utility: RPGenerator v0.7.23 - Build your own RPG in Codea

@Briarfox, ok I made those changes. Can you check it out for me to make sure it’s correct? Also, do I need to delete my current gist and then let it do it automatically since I initially did it manually then went on to add the updater part?

Ok so it looks like it is working correctly now, I changed the version and it auto updated the gist. Thank you so much @Briarfox, this is one sweet app you created. :smiley:

Worked like a charm! :slight_smile: I’m really looking forward to seeing where you take this rpg maker!

where is the latest code?

Links in the first post, I believe.

I’m getting this error after installing

error: [string “-- table of available characters…”]:23: attempt to index field ‘sheet’ (a nil value)

Just made it home from a long journey and thought I’d check here before passing out, hehe.

@ignatz, did the images download correctly for you? That error sounds like it is missing the Character-001.png file in your Dropbox. I changed some of the code you originally posted for the automatic downloads, something might have gone wrong there.

Made some minor changes. Updated documentation and the dialogue event. Dialogue event is still currently being called as a map event for testing purposes. Dialogue text is now pulled from the NPCs table and a random dialogue is chosen to be displayed. Dialogues can be one page or multiple pages, the amount of text each page can hold is limited, but the number of pages is unlimited.

Still working on roof/wall algorithm. When it is finished it will be released in version 0.4

I am getting a error with the auto installer.

Error: [string " …"]:60: Invalid buffer name

Anyone else see this?

Just finished the algorithms for roof and wall tiles. Added in the images necessary for them as well.

@Aalok, did you name your project RPG Maker? If you named it something else, then change the PROJECTNAME in the auto installer. I will try the auto installer myself to verify.

Its the error thats thrown when the project name doesn’t exist. I’ll add some better checking to let the user know.

Yep, I just tested and that is the error for project name mismatch. Change the variable in the auto installer to match the project name you are trying to use.

I updated and ended up with errors and a blank screen. A codea restart fixed it. It seems that codea does not always read my tabs and it takes reloading the project to fix it. Nice update!

@Briarfox, were the errors related to the new image downloads? As for the blank screen, I have noticed that it takes about 30-60 seconds for the 4 images to download.

Next major update will include animated auto-tiles such as water or lava. Also going to try placing an NPC on the map so I can move the dialogue event out of map events.

Changing the title of this discussion as I am about to progress well beyond just a 2D map generator.

Changed to RPG Maker Clone for now, but I think that would probably be copyright infringement so it will probably change again soon, lol.

@Slashin8r - I will try again and let you know

If you are going 3D, I wrote a lot of stuff about that, including roofs, overlapping images, tiling large areas etc

http://coolcodea.wordpress.com/2013/05/page/2/

http://coolcodea.wordpress.com/2013/05/

@ignatz, for this project I will be sticking to 2D with the tiny hint of 3D as you can go behind objects that are taller than the tile height. Here is an example of what a finished map will look like when I get all the algorithms completed:

RPG Maker Town

@slashin8r I’m not sure on the errors. I saw them, tried to reload so I could read the errors. Codea crashed then upon a restart it all worked. I’ll delete the images and try it again.

edit: After deleting images I get this error:

GenerateMap :103 attempt to index field ‘sheet’

Characters :24 attempt to index field sheet

I cant seem to get past it this time. I’ve let the program hang for a minute.

edit: Images appear to have been download into dropbox folder but I’m still getting the errors.

Ok If I clear codea out of memory and reload then it works.

There is something odd happening with images. My code to auto download images was working fine before, but now it’s not. I’m wondering if the recent changes to sprites changed something.

I had the same problem as Briarfox, it works now. The code (yesterday’s version) needs some debugging, though.