Thought provoking program.

@Goatboy76 There’s a big difference between what a mathematician might say to the question “What do you reckon?” and what they’d actually rely on. Many might say, “Sounds reasonable” to the proposition that pi contains all finite sequences, but most are unlikely to be experts in the necessary area and so their hunches aren’t worth much. But no mathematician would ever write a paper based on that hunch because we’re a long, long way from proving it.

Here’s a post on MathOverflow about it. The questioner is a Fields Medalist, this means that he has been recognised as one of the top mathematicians of his generation.

@Goatboy76 The topic is “Thought provoking” and I think that’s what’s happening. So no apologies are necessary.

Besides, we have nothing better to do while we wait for the program to complete

My biggest fear is that after waiting for 10^1000 years, I will get an overflow error and have to start again…

@Andrew_Stacey These “peoples” are just different, unvarified sources, from my curiosity reading around the web. I know that math truths are about randomness and that instead you just don’t not know what it is. I’m talking about that if you had to bet on wether pi contains all finiat sequences of numbers most people would bet with what the majority of mathmactions suspected it to be. Not prooved it to be, but what most have a faint hunch for it to be. I got, from my reading, that a lot of mathmactions suspect it to contain all finite sequences of numbers but their hunchs have no grounds in the realm of proof.

@dave1707 Sorry for the off topicness :smiley:

@Goatboy76 Again, maths doesn’t proceed by “most likely” but by proof. Even then, I doubt your claim. Who are these “majority of peoples”? Most people are unlikely to have thought about it and most mathematcians would be unlikely to guess on such a result, so you are left with a few people who know enough to understand the question but not enough to understand how maths works.

My daughter has that book and got it autographed by Carl Sagan.

@Andrew_Stacey I said “likely” to be true not in a mathmatical sense but as that the majorty of peoples theories are leaning that way. Sorry for the confusion. I didn’t recongize the series of numbers as anything specific (which isnt surprising) I just thought it was a non specific example. So it is not known wether pi has all possable finite seqences of numbers?

@Ignatz All have to see if they have that book at the local library

I bet if you run this program long enough, you will get the answer to life: 42. :wink:

You’re too quick! It is now

@Ignate The image isn’t working.

@Monkeyman32123 I don’t understand your mass and energy calculations. I guess I would need some examples to help out. As for large numbers, power towers grow fast. For instance the power tower 3^3^3 is 7625597484987 and 4^4^4^4 has 8 x 10^153 digits. I can’t get a result for 5^5^5^5^5. I just wonder about an infinity power tower.

@Goatboy76 - if you haven’t read it, I recommend reading Carl Sagan’s book Contact (1985), in which pI is found to contain a hidden message. It’s very good.

Then of course, there’s this from XKCD.

=D> Wow! Very thought provoking! Really cool. It even crashed my codea app, lol. I guess Codea can’t handle the whole universe. Lol

@Perscirious Not sure why it crashes. It’s not really doing much. I’ll have to check up on img:set.

EDIT: About what is the rgb value when it crashes. I haven’t crashed yet and it’s been running for quite awhile now.

EDIT: I loaded this on my iPad 1 and it hasn’t crashed yet, but then I didn’t run it to completion yet.

@dave1707 It only happens when I move swipe or touch around in the parameters screen.

EDIT: Said it wrong. This only happens when it’s 4 into the second rgb column, and when I start swiping and holding down on the outputs and parameters section. It’s crashed twice, but I think it’s ok if I don’t touch it at all.