Spritely -- a simple image editor

Ok, give this a shot.

http://devilstower.posterous.com/spritely2-080

I renamed the project to avoid killing any project data work-in-progress. This version is a complete rewrite.

Full screen

New sliders, buttons, and other controls

Bitmapped font, keyboard, and text box.

Preview a screen full of images, edit, rename, and delete

Flood fill tool

In other words… I had fun.

Pretty amazing. just great and very polished!

Wow again! Between this and Andrew’s stuff, you guys have raised the bar big-time! I liked Spritely before, but this is a big jump up! Another one that deserves to be included as an example with Codea.

Wow. Very cool. Now I want antialiasing.

Your wish is my command. Added simple blur, rotate, vert flip, color invert.
Fixed bug in keyboard that sometimes cropped up in renaming images.

And I redrew that ugly font.

http://devilstower.posterous.com/spritely2-090

LOL I wasn’t going to mention the font - much better! :slight_smile:

Ummm how do you open this? I tried opening this on my iPad, downloaded on my computer but windows didnt recognize it. Is it mac only?

Go to the link in mobile safari on the iPad, and choose “open in Codea”. It’s not Mac only, it’s iPad only!

What about the Undo or Redo. My images are still there when I imported the Spritely2-090 into a new project. Cool!! (including the UI)

Good idea. I think the things I most find myself wanting is undo and copy image. Since it’s taking a while to get new versions of Codea past apple, I might as well get in there and add these functions.

omg when i first opened the new spritely i thought i was in another app :smiley: but when i noticed it was SPRITELY, i thought: “wow…” .
The Spritely editor is perfeckt. Simply amazing.

i still cant manage importing my sprites (See my discussion http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/411/spritely-loader#Item_13 ) , but thats not your fault.

Wow. I updated Spritely and was stunned with the new look and functions. It does look just like a real app… I still have suggestions that could make this the best project ever:

1. @Simeon make spritely part of Codea. That would be fun.
  2. Select an area and scale/rotate/move/blur/change colors.
  3. Declare width and height of the canvas.
  4. Fill with gradient.
  5. Save color schemes.
  6. Redo and Undo.
    Alright. That was a shock to see the new Spritely. Looking forward to updates. My gosh… I love it. Have you suggested making it into a real app? That way you can use real UI elements.

I say Spritely is a real app. It’s not an app-store app, to be sure, but so what?

The problem with an app store spritely is (1) how do you use the sprites, and (2) now you’re competing with every image editor out there. Spritely is good because it fills a definite need in the Codea community well and easily - it would be less useful external to Codea, frankly.

I had an idea… (never a good sign when a sentence is started with that)
An app called Codea Helper. $.99 would be the cost. I would run on iPhones and iPads. It’s goad is to

1. Have the reference and browse the forums on the second device or in the background to quickly help
  2. Quickly view Codea files shared over bluetooth
  3. Have things like spritely that make programming easier
  4. Be things like arrow keys to move the cursor and type special characters over BlueTooth. Basically, it would be Codea’s assistant over BlueTooth. After I finish my mockup of Codea with my ideas in it, I’m doing that. Tell me what you think.

Dunno about that, but code sharing via bluetooth is… interesting. Imagine having Codea where a “bump” in the real world tells one iDevice to share the current project with another one. So - I have a cool game, you don’t, but we both have Codea - I open the project, and bump (or just pick “send project via bluetooth”) in a menu… and Codea hears the incoming project and adds it.

I suspect Apple will not allow this as well, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a bad idea.

Ya… Well… If TLL could work out this code thing with apple…

Thanks for the nice comments, guys.

@Maxiking16 Heading over to the other discussion to see if I can see what’s causing the problem.

Since all that SpritelyLoader does is dump your global images into project storage, I took a simpler approach and wrote it out of your code.

So, assuming you created your image with Spritely and just saved it as “S” this should work.

If you’d like to at some later date, you could use the new Loader2 class to move all your images into project data, then change the readGlobalData below to readProjectDats, but there’s no hurry. I generally don’t do that until I’m sure all the graphics are as I want them and it’s time to bundle up the project.

function setup()

print(“Hello World!”)

createImage = loadstring(readGlobalData(“S”))

theSmiley = createImage()

end

– This function gets called once every frame

function draw()

sprite(theSmiley,100,100)

end

Oh my god, it Works!!! Wow, now i can complete all my Games… Thank you so much!! This is the best codea Programm ive ever had!! Thank you!!!

noo! i wrote an extra programm to try it out, there is woked. i implemented the load lines and the sprite(), and when i ran the programm there were about 20 errors, where EVERY VARIABLE WAS NILL! :frowning: