[sharing] hooks for Codea!

Sometimes you have a project which you need to hook into another.

An example. - Last year I posted a backup tool which uses parameter sliders (defined in setup). I needed to include this sliders into other projects, but didn’t want to initialize its setup code by hand everytime (through classes and such). Therefor I needed a hook, which does that job automatically for me (just select the project dependency and have it appear).

CodeaCommunity had such a hook (=autorun function); realized with debug.sethook(), but it wasn’t flexible enough. You couldn’t join multiple projects together, it worked only for one include.

Here's my try at solving this task:

Normally when writing two functions with the same name, the second overrides the first.

function setup()
    print("Hello World")
end

function setup()
    print("Welcome") -- This gets printed!
end

My hook module appropriates this. Try to run the code above again (each function in its own tab), this time together with the module code from below. - You will notice that both setup functions are run and printed!

It even accounts their order! Even when joining multiple projects into one, it hooks them in the right order, in which the dependencies were selected!

--# Main
function setup()
   print("hooks are awesome^^")
end
--# Hooks
-- Module by kennstewayne.de [jack0088@me.com]
--
-- Write hooks inside separate tabs, because 'Main' tab can't be included into other projects!
-- A hook function must have the same name as the target function you want to hook into!
-- Include 'Hooks' tab into every project, which should use hooks!
-- Currently you can only hook into 'setup', but you might extend this easily for 'draw', 'touched', etc.

local setup_hooks = {}

debug.sethook(function(eventName, lineNumber)
   if setup and setup ~= prev then
       print("debug: hook found")

local _setup = setup

if _setup ~= setup_hooks[#setup_hooks] then
           table.insert(setup_hooks, _setup)
       end

setup = function()
           print("debug: 'setup' overriden")
           debug.sethook()

for id, func in ipairs(setup_hooks) do
               print("debug: run hook...")
               func()
           end
       end
       prev = setup
   end
end, "r")

It’s very difficult to tell and show its usage. But hooks are awesome thing! - You have to try! In the meantime I’ll might create a video wich shows some fields of application…

i dont get it working by following your instructions. Only ‘welcome’ is printed. Could you post a complete example? Thanks.

--# Main
function setup()
    print("Hello World")
end

--# Hook
function setup()
    print("Welcome")
end

plus the module code from above.

ok thanks.
When the 2 setup() functions are in the same tab it doesnt work, hence my question.

you are right. actually a have documented it)))))

-- Write hooks inside separate tabs, because 'Main' tab can't be included into other projects!

i didnt understand this sentence, sorry…
Using hooks might be a fps killer? I found:
‘r’ means call your hook function every time a function returns in lua.
This means a lot of calls…?

Sorry for my bad english^^

Hooks are pretty tricky. I try to keep their call quantity low by using “r” instead of “l” (which is every line of code), because each codebase certainly contains far less “return” statements from functions, than it does has lines of code. Besides there are pretty much no other options when using debug.sethook

After all, when all hook functions are found, debug.sethook gets deactivated anyway. So it basically runs only once through all the codebase (on startup) and deactivates itself.