Running code outside of draw look or setup?

@Bri_G - I know what you mean, however that Lua code looks fairly easy to follow. I’ve found in the past that sitting down with a pen & paper and writing down the psuedo code from reading the real code can be a great aid in understanding.

As for the Java, although the for loops are a little different and the prevalence of all the different types of brackets, I find them all just as easy to read (and you would to with a little time).

Actually I find that it’s easier to transfer other code to Lua rather than the other way round, for every Java class / instance, just think of a Lua class (table).

The graphics are actually from Spelunky by Derek Yu - the original version was written in GameMaker and there are plenty of writeups about it online - the most impressive part is the procedurally generated levels (which kinda brings this thread back on topic) :slight_smile:

Anyway good luck with the code - as an aside if you’re an old Amiga guy have you noticed how much like AMOS Codea is - it’s like having an Amiga dev kit in your hand :slight_smile:

@Bri_G, @TechDojo - you might find this step by step project on flying useful, because it includes some useful functionality, eg how to do rotations “properly”, skydomes, etc

https://gist.github.com/dermotbalson/2a9d03adab5b97043431

@Ignatz - thanks that’ll be really useful.

Hi @Ignatz, @TechDojo,

Awesome library of routines and steady build up of complexity/options @Ignatz. Be my first port of call once I’ve digested it. Some of it whizzed straight over my head (Quaternions) - will have to sit and read that for a few hours before trying to use it.

@TechDojo - now almost finished the DSA routine - wanting to make it more general and flexible. Still digging in the WWW bottomless hole, amazing what you can find. On the Amos front - had a play around for a while with it and I see what you mean. I used GFA basic and 68000 code mainly on the Amiga.

Thanks for your help.

Bri_G

:smiley:

@Bri_G no worries, glad i could help - Ah GFA basic, I remember it well - I used it a lot on my ST, after struggling with 6502 and 8086, 68000 based asm was an absolute gift. I used 68000 on the first Amiga game I worked on (Tornado for Digitial Integration) and for the Atari Jaguar game - Blue Lightning, before moving on to MIPS and ARM as well as C/C++ for most of the others.