Raycasting Help (Part Two)

I was just wondering if there was a way to find the name of a physics body a 2D raycast is hit by??
For my game. It’s supposed to be one of the mechanics that I wanna implement.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

@Creator27 - just out of curiosity - is this project of yours a target in a course or your own personal project?

i had this problem too, but there is an info prop on body that you can use to put a unique name

@skar That works for physics.raycast, but so far I can’t get it to work with Craft physics.raycast. Do you have an example for Craft.

sorry i don’t mess with craft, i’m all 2D

@Creator27 Here’s an example of 2 circles with raycast using information. I’m using “name” and “yPos” to show the name at a specific y position.

viewer.mode=STANDARD

function setup()
    p1=physics.body(CIRCLE,40)
    p1.type=STATIC
    p1.x=WIDTH/2
    p1.y=300
    p1.name="circle at 300" 
    p1.yPos=p1.y 

p2=physics.body(CIRCLE,60)
    p2.type=STATIC
    p2.x=WIDTH/2-60
    p2.y=600
    p2.name="circle at 600"  
    p2.yPos=p2.y 

x=0
    v=1
end

function draw()
    background(40, 40, 50)
    noStroke()
    fill(255)
    tab=physics.raycastAll(vec2(WIDTH/2,0),vec2(x,HEIGHT))
    if tab~=nil then
        for a,b in pairs(tab) do
            text(b.body.name,60,b.body.yPos)
        end
    end
    ellipse(p1.x,p1.y,80)
    ellipse(p2.x,p2.y,120)

x=x+v
    if x>WIDTH or x<1 then
        v=-v
    end
    stroke(255)
    strokeWidth(2)
    line(WIDTH/2,0,x,HEIGHT)
end

@dave1707, I forgot to mention that I’m trying to figure out if you can still find out the object’s name hit by the raycast, even if the physics body of the object is not currently active.

@Creator27 Not sure what you mean by not currently active.

@dave1707, I got mixed up with what I was thinking, sorry about that :slight_smile: However, when I tried your code it did not work. Do you think you might know why??

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

@Creator27 It works for me. What’s not working. There should be a line that sweeps back and forth and when it intersects a circle, it will display the circles height.