Projects for coders

Thanks @Ignatz, that’s very helpful. I’ve already started to learn the basics of xcode alongside Codea so I’m hoping the process won’t be beyond me.

Ps was reading through your Lua book again last night and it all makes a lot more sense once you’ve got a few programs under your belt!

@Cozman Is this something like what you’re after. Of course you’ll have to add your own images. Also, I limit the selection to 1 to 4 images since I don’t know exactly what you want. I also didn’t spend a lot of time on this, so if someone else wants to adjust this, go ahead.

displayMode(FULLSCREEN)
supportedOrientations(LANDSCAPE_ANY)

function setup()
    rectMode(CENTER)
    spriteMode(CENTER)
    w=HEIGHT
    pCount=0
    selectDone=false
    dx=0
    iTab={}
    sTab={}
    pTab={}
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Character Boy"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Character Cat Girl"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Character Horn Girl"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Character Pink Girl"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Character Princess Girl"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Gem Blue"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Gem Green"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Gem Orange"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Heart"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Enemy Bug"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Tree Short"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Tree Tall"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Rock"))   
    table.insert(iTab,readImage("Planet Cute:Star"))   
end

function draw()
    background(40,40,50)
    fill(255)
    if not selectDone then
        for a,b in pairs(iTab) do
            sprite(b,a*100+dx,HEIGHT-100,100)
        end
        for z=1,#pTab do
            sprite(pTab[z],sTab[z].x,sTab[z].y,100)
        end
        fill(21, 217, 248, 255)
        text("Slide images left or right then double tap an image for selection (4 max)",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT-200)
        text("When selections are done, tap Selection done button.",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT-250)
        rect(WIDTH/2,200,200,50)
        fill(255)
        text("Selection done",WIDTH/2,200)
        if pCount==1 then
            px=WIDTH/2
            py=HEIGHT/2
        end
    end
    if selectDone then
        if pCount==1 then
            sprite(pTab[1],WIDTH/2,HEIGHT*.65,w/1.3)
        elseif pCount==2 then
            sprite(pTab[1],WIDTH*.25,HEIGHT*.6,w/2)
            sprite(pTab[2],WIDTH*.75,HEIGHT*.6,w/2)
        elseif pCount==3 then
            sprite(pTab[1],WIDTH*.2,HEIGHT*.6,w/3)
            sprite(pTab[2],WIDTH*.5,HEIGHT*.6,w/3)
            sprite(pTab[3],WIDTH*.8,HEIGHT*.6,w/3)
        elseif pCount==4 then
            sprite(pTab[1],WIDTH*.25,HEIGHT*.85,w/3)
            sprite(pTab[2],WIDTH*.75,HEIGHT*.85,w/3)
            sprite(pTab[3],WIDTH*.25,HEIGHT*.35,w/3)
            sprite(pTab[4],WIDTH*.75,HEIGHT*.35,w/3)
        end       
    end
end

function touched(t)
    if t.state==MOVING then
        dx=dx+t.deltaX
        return           
    end
    if t.state==BEGAN then
        if t.x>WIDTH/2-100 and t.x<WIDTH/2+100 and t.y>175 and t.y<225 then
            selectDone=true
        end
        if t.tapCount==2 then
            for a,b in pairs(iTab) do
                if t.x>a*100+dx-50 and t.x<a*100+dx+50 and t.y>HEIGHT-150 then
                    if pCount<4 then
                        pCount = pCount + 1
                        table.insert(sTab,vec2(pCount*100,HEIGHT/2+70))
                        table.insert(pTab,b)
                    end
                end
            end
        end
    end
end

I feel like a discussion in which people throw around ideas would result in people stealing others’ ideas or two people coming out with a game based on the same comment posted there.

I was actually thinking and started coding a Slideshow app a few days ago…

Probably ‘off message’ here - but I dont see the harm in people proposing projects for others to attempt. Indeed, I’ve noticed over the last couple of years that there are lots of beginners who struggle with ideas of what to create.

It obviously becomes a bit more ‘formal’ if theres some sort of ‘monetization’ involved… but this is surely at the ‘developers’ risk and a private agreement between two parties on who retains the IPR on such a project.

But certainly, in principle I cant see a problem with this - entirely up to someone if they want to propose a project or develop it further… usual caveats, disclaimers and common sense would hopefully prevail. :wink:

p.s. You cant deploy a ‘stand alone’ App to an iPad or iPhone without a developer account even if its ‘free’ or for use on your own device. Period. Blame nasty old Apple for this. :slight_smile:

Even trying to ‘go round the backdoor’ via TestFlight also needs one as well.

I’d love a forum for projects that need to be done, both for free and for money.

To “deploy” the science teacher app they could install Codea on each device and run it. They would get an excellent programming environment as a bonus!

Codea play, is that still planned?

@tnlogy - I’m putting words in TLL’s mouths, but I think that it might come out, eventually. Right now, I think they’re backed up by Codea v2.0. If I were on the TLL team, I’d say wait until after the possible return of project sharing.

Yes dave1707, something like that. I will try to upload some sample screenshots and the images into a Dropbox folder in the next week so that anyone who wants to have a go of it can do so. :slight_smile:

@Cozman - I knew @Dave1707 would help you. He seems to breathe this stuff! :wink: (He’s also very generous with his time and code.) Glad you got it sorted!

@SkyTheCoder - I would love to see the one you’ve been working on if you ever feel like sharing (even if only by vid).

Re the issue of an ‘ideas’ board, I agree with @andymac3d and @MrScience101. I think it’s a great idea and don’t even have a problem with anything being monetized. They’re only ideas. Like I said, I tend to have more ideas than I’ll ever get round to coding. Some of them I’m just not interested in, some of them I don’t have the coding skill, but somebody out there might. I tend to discover most of them have been thought of already in some way. It’s how you execute it that usually adds value.

At the end of the day, it’s like anything else on the web… If you don’t want to risk someone nabbing it, just don’t post it in the first place!

@ScottDafydd Which project? I have so many, and half I haven’t started yet…

@SkyTheCoder I think he means your slideshow app

@SkyTheCoder @stevon8ter yes, the one mentioned above. I’m quite interested in the different approaches people take to similar projects…