parameter enhancement

We will have both. I’m determined to add extra parameter types.

I just modified watch() for 1.3.1 so that it can evaluate an arbitrary chunk of Lua code and can display multiple return values (not limited to numbers). I’ll move onto the parameter stuff later on.

@ruilov’s library management suggestion is something I’d like to add as well.

Nice :slight_smile:

User library is sometimes overrated. Of course Andrew’s library, Bortel’s, and other’s are all great and useful. I use some of them. But there are some things that is better as built-in feature, not as user library. I have said the reasons and won’t say it again. It’s on another thread.

Being that many of us have been around for a long time, user libraries are part of a progression.

This is similar to the short floats in Codea, at this time. In this era, those short floats allow a great deal to be done on a limited platform. Five years from now the need for speed will be less and the progrssion to long floats will occur. This will be due to the iPad4 not only having plenty of speed but also being old tech by that point. Now, some will want a seperate short float build to support 3D graphics. The Codea that runs on the iHolo (the device that operates with 3D gesture input and output is a hologram from it’s location of being a nosering) will probally still require short floats.

:bz - Can’t we have both? I know I have a few library type functions that I tend to use in many projects, and I certainly don’t expect 2LL to incorporate all of them into Codea.

Jim

Now that .codea sharing is disabled, I tend to lean more toward @Bee’s point-of-view there - a user library is fine, but it’s better built-in, simply because it’s functionality you know will be there that doesn’t balloon something someone’s going to have to cut and paste into a giant monstrosity.

No, @Bortels. Even if project sharing is enabled (again), I stand to my statement that there are some things better as built-in feature instead of as user library. For some cases, user library is NOT a solution, it’s a WORKAROUND. Take a look at text drawing, for example. Your library is great and useful, but compare to what is currently offered by v1.3 -with all due respect- your library looks so bad and primitive. :slight_smile:

As now project sharing is disabled, my statement becomes more relevant. Of course, user library is still useful and need to be encouraged. At this point, I agree with @Ipda41001 that the user library growth would show how good Codea as product and how active its community.