Overview of Xcode

@Simeon yes i did that. Atom sees the new .mtl files next to the .obj, the build works, but codea on the ipad gives error message ‘user data nil’. Without the .mtl files it works. Anything else i should do? I wonder if .mtl files are handled correctly in the exported code?

I can do a new export from scratch, including the dropbox assets (only place where a .mtl file can exist- you should fix that!!!). But it is painful as one has to set up all the icons/info.plist/signing again.

@Simeon, i redid the xcode export including my dropbox asset folder. Strangely the .mtl files do not seem to be transferred and are missing in the exported dropbox asset folder!? I was able to add the missing .mtl files into the dropbox assets and then it works. I don’t why adding the .mtl files into the .codea package did not work.

@Simeon do you know if the final app size will be independent of all the other assets in the dropbox folder which are not used by my app?

Ans: you should remove all unused assets, otherwise they will contribute to the app size.

@piinthesky thanks for adding the answer there. Yes that is correct, I’d recommend against using Dropbox.assets in the exported project (move them into Project assets)

I really would prefer to encourage using Project assets for almost everything in the future, and instead show the standard document picker so that assets can be selected from Dropbox or other cloud file providers

@Bri_G thanks for the Xcode 11 video, which led me to the Code with Chris site. I have 6 apps in the Apple store, but the new push by Apple for updates has made me realize how much I depended on Codea to package everything I needed in earlier updates so I really didn’t need to make many changes in Xcode. I’m needing to learn much more about Xcode and programming now if I want to keep updating in the future. @Simeon thanks for all your work on Codea. I have really appreciated that I could export to Xcode. Would it be helpful to see the kinds of yellow and purple error messages people like me see when we build and run our apps in Xcode? I don’t get red errors but a number of warnings about things that are deprecated, etc. I think (but am not sure) some of them may be from the packaging that comes from Codea. The current app builds I’m working with are from the app versions I last uploaded from Codea in 2017, I believe. I could send you screen shots of the kinds of warnings I get if you think this might be useful.

@karenm - good to hear you progressed to several apps in the app store. I picked up on Code with Chris and it looks like a good resource. My problem, as ever, is time and far too many distractions

I am sure a post with screen shots with errors could be useful, with a little annotation/explanation - as an aid on the website.

Good luck with your apps and future developments.

@Simeon @dave1707 - All, I started this thread hoping to prepare for a trial with Xcode and using the NoNo game I posted earlier as an example. I have used Xcode before - currently installed Version 11.3.1 (11C504) on my Mojave Mac. I didn’t encounter many problems then. But - time and systems move on and I exported the NoNo project for use with Xcode, unzipped it and loaded it into Xcode and - nada !!

Set up a framework for my iPad within Xcode and all I get is the Hello World message.

Did find one error when I tried to run the project by double clicking NoNo5.xcodeproject icon (see attached image).

Question - will I be able to run Xcode on my system for Codea exports, what is the error I have encountered and could someone give a blow by blow list of what I need to do to get Xcode running properly?

@Bri_G I’ve never used Xcode and probably never will, so I can’t give you any information about it. I’m sure others will.

@Bri_G if you just click “Add” does that solve the problem?

You might find it better to re-export the project with Codea as that looks like an old Xcode project

@Simeon - after going back to Xcode reloaded with smaller project to see if I could duplicate, but couldn’t - so I can’t answer your question. Here are two images attached - first the listed file that I tried to compile - so it shows the file structure after unpacking. Then after trying to follow your instructions in the exported Codea project (after double clicking on fifteen.xcodeproject but the Download Frameworks wasn’t there - tried with Product > Scheme > Download Frameworks but no joy. Ran a Build and it said it was succesful but didn’t load up the emulator to display the screen. Second image shows some errors from the error screen.

Remember I am on Xcode V 11.3.1

Any suggestions?

All,

Just for info - posting a couple of links related to Xcode. Looks like I need to delve into this further to be able to compile an app from Codea. So here we have:
Xcode Wikipedia
and
Xcode Tutorials

Hope this helps anyone in need - please post alternative links when you find them.

Thanks.

@Simeon - most of the above tutorials relate to Apples Swift package. It would be useful if you could briefly outline how Codea exports can be incorporated into Xcode and what we need to be aware of when we do.

All, just installed Big Sur on my Mac so I have been able to install the latest Xcode. Will post update when I make some progress.