(Off Topic) Interships

Hi! In about a year, I’m going to try and get a High school internship at Cerner, which is a technology company that centers around health things. My question is do programming internships train you how to use a certain language, or should I start learning Xcode now?

Do they develop iOS/Mac apps? Are you sure that’s what you’ll be doing if you were to be an intern?

It certainly can’t hurt to become familiar with XCode/Objective-C if you plan on having a career in programming in the near future (particularly iOS or Mac apps), but there are other things that are pretty important too (JavaScript/HTML5/CSS aren’t going anywhere for a long while, and can be as broadly applicable, if not more so, than iOS).

If you don’t know exactly what you’ll be doing at your internship, then I say, carry on learning whichever language you’d like. IMO understanding programming concepts is more important than specific languages; once you understand a concept, and how to implement it one language, it’s generally not so hard to translate it to another. If you do know for sure which language(s)/environment(s) they are using, then it may not be a bad idea to start learning them.

Of course, this is all my own opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Learn the basics of programming. It’s pretty much the same no matter what language you use.

GAAAAHHHH!!! As usual, it drives me nuts when people call using iOS libraries or Objective C “Xcode”. Anyways, you need a really good grasp on programming (preferably a scripting language) before you move to a high-level language like Objective-C. To tell you the truth, I’m not that great in it myself.

@Zoyt I wasn’t referring to Objective C entirely, I have trouble just navigating Xcode :slight_smile: