Odd behaviour when recording

I’m playing about with a lemmings type game and when I tried to record the video I get strange effects. While it records, the them image is not cleared between frames so I get a trail effect, though when viewing back the video is fine ( and also reverts to normal when I stop recording). Secondly I have implemented destructible landscape but when recording, it shifts the location of the affected area. Thirdly,when the explosions appear the made with codea logo disappears. Has anyone else experienced this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipv5-pg8r9s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

@West

Are you using setContext() while recording? I think there could be an issue with this. I’ll try to figure out whats happening. Looks great so far by the way.

Yes I am. The background is an image which I’m using to update. Here’s a snippet from the update

elseif self.state==shrug then
                -- bang
            sprite("Dropbox:Bang",self.x,self.y)   
            setContext(bgimg)
            sprite("Dropbox:Hole",self.x,self.y)
            setContext()
            self.state=angel
            self.trans=0 
            end

bgimg is used as a texture on a mesh

Cool, Lemmings in Codea :slight_smile:

I cant contribute to your question, but I’am interested how fast this works for you. Because I have tried to draw trails of a snake like game in a background image and render that, but my framerate drops below 3 fps. It seems to work for you so I wonder what the difference is. I render the bgimage with the sprite() function, but I don’t think thats the point, as it only drops when I use setContext.

The other discussion: http://www.twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/1622/snake-by-lines

The background is an image which is mapped to a mesh texture. I only update via setContext very occasionally -when I want to create the blast crater. The lemming type men are all rectangles on a single mesh which is very quick. The explosion currently is a sprite but I’ll convert to a mesh too in time.
It all runs pretty fast. Will take a look at the thread to see if I can offer an alternative for the snake

Thanks. My current solution is to draw the trail in retained mode and also draw the trail in a background array with one fourth of the display resolution for collision checking. well, it works, but I dont like the retained mode when I have to display other things than the trails at the same time. also, it has a bug in fullscreen on ipad 3.

I could post a slow version if you want to look at it.

Yes, I’ll take a look when I get the chance.

@John

Here is a demo of the issue with associated code
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qpFWbmcms

-- BackgroundTest
displayMode(FULLSCREEN)
-- Use this function to perform your initial setup
function setup()
    touches={}
    globalx=0
    globaly=0
    scroll=-1
    vscroll=-1
    cratesize=50
    bgw=60
    bgh=60
    tilew=bgw
    tileh=bgh
    bg={}
    bgimg={}
    numMesh=30
    numMeshVert=8
    crater=image(50,50)
    setContext(crater)
    fill(0,0,0)
    ellipse(25,25,50)
    setContext()

for v=1,numMeshVert do
        bg[v]={}
        bgimg[v]={}
        for i=1,numMesh do
            bg[v][i]=mesh() 
            bgimg[v][i]=image(bgw,bgh)
            bg[v][i].texture=bgimg[v][i]
            setContext(bgimg[v][i])
            background(0,0,0)
        if (math.random(3)==1 or v<3 )and v~=numMeshVert then
            sprite("Cargo Bot:Crate Yellow 2",tilew/2,tileh/2,tilew,tileh)
            end
            setContext()
        end
    end

end

function touched(touch)
    if touch.state == ENDED then
        touches[touch.id] = nil
    else
        touches[touch.id] = touch
    end
end
-- This function gets called once every frame
function draw()
    -- This sets a dark background color 

background(0,0,0)    
    for v=1,numMeshVert do
        for i=1,numMesh do
            bg[v][i]:clear()
            --only draw those that appear on the screen will speed it up
            if i*tilew+globalx>0 and i*tilew+globalx<1024+tilew then
                local bgid=bg[v][i]:addRect(globalx+((i-1)*tilew+tilew/2),((v-1)*tileh+tileh/2),tilew,tileh)
                bg[v][i]:setRectTex(bgid,0,0,1,1)
                bg[v][i]:draw()
            end
       --     text(i*tilew,600,600)
        end
    end
    if tilew*numMesh>WIDTH then
        globalx = globalx + scroll
        if globalx>0 or globalx<-(numMesh)*tilew+WIDTH then
            scroll=scroll*-1
        end
    end

for k,touch in pairs(touches) do
        for v=1,numMeshVert do
            for i=1,numMesh do            
                if touch.x<i*tilew+globalx and touch.x>=(i-1)*tilew+globalx and touch.y<v*tileh+globaly and touch.y>=(v-1)*tileh+globaly then
                    -- centre of the mesh
                    setContext(bgimg[v][i])
                    sprite(crater,(-1*(i-1)*tilew)+touch.x-globalx,(-1*(v-1)*tileh)+touch.y-globaly,cratesize,cratesize)
                    setContext()  
                end
                if touch.x>i*tilew+globalx-cratesize/2 and touch.x<i*tilew+globalx and touch.y<v*tileh+globaly and touch.y>=(v-1)*tileh+globaly and i<numMesh then
                    --leaks into mesh to the right
                    setContext(bgimg[v][i+1])
                    sprite(crater,-i*tilew-globalx+touch.x,(-1*(v-1)*tileh)+touch.y-globaly,cratesize,cratesize)
                    setContext()
                end 
                if touch.x>(i-1)*tilew+globalx and touch.x<(i-1)*tilew+globalx+cratesize/2 and touch.y<v*tileh+globaly and touch.y>=(v-1)*tileh+globaly and i>1 then
                    --leak into mesh to the left
                    setContext(bgimg[v][i-1])
                    sprite(crater,-(i-2)*tilew+touch.x-globalx,(-1*(v-1)*tileh)+touch.y-globaly,cratesize,cratesize)
                    setContext()  
                end
                if touch.x<i*tilew+globalx and touch.x>=(i-1)*tilew+globalx and touch.y>(v-1)*tileh+globaly and touch.y<(v-1)*tileh+globaly+cratesize/2 and v>1 then
                    --leak into mesh below
                    setContext(bgimg[v-1][i])
                    sprite(crater,(-1*(i-1)*tilew)+touch.x-globalx,(-1*(v-2)*tileh)+touch.y-globaly,cratesize,cratesize)
                    setContext()  
                end
               if touch.x<i*tilew+globalx and touch.x>=(i-1)*tilew+globalx and touch.y>v*tileh+globaly-cratesize/2 and touch.y<v*tileh+globaly and v<numMeshVert then
                    --leak into mesh above
                    setContext(bgimg[v+1][i])
                    sprite(crater,(-1*(i-1)*tilew)+touch.x-globalx,(-1*(v)*tileh)+touch.y-globaly,cratesize,cratesize)
                    setContext()  
                end  
                if touch.x>i*tilew+globalx-cratesize/2 and touch.x<i*tilew+globalx and touch.y>v*tileh+globaly-cratesize/2 and touch.y<v*tileh+globaly and i<numMesh and v<numMeshVert then
                    --leaks into mesh up and to the right
                    setContext(bgimg[v+1][i+1])
                    sprite(crater,-i*tilew-globalx+touch.x,(-1*(v)*tileh)+touch.y-globaly,cratesize,cratesize)
                    setContext()
                end 
                  if touch.x>i*tilew+globalx-cratesize/2 and touch.x<i*tilew+globalx and touch.y>(v-1)*tileh+globaly and touch.y<(v-1)*tileh+globaly+cratesize/2 and i<numMesh and v>1 then
                    --leaks into mesh below and to the right
                    setContext(bgimg[v-1][i+1])
                    sprite(crater,-i*tilew-globalx+touch.x,(-1*(v-2)*tileh)+touch.y-globaly,cratesize,cratesize)
                    setContext()
                end         
                if touch.x>(i-1)*tilew+globalx and touch.x<(i-1)*tilew+globalx+cratesize/2 and touch.y>v*tileh+globaly-cratesize/2 and touch.y<v*tileh+globaly and i>1 and v<numMeshVert then
                    --leaks into mesh up and to the left
                    setContext(bgimg[v+1][i-1])
                    sprite(crater,-(i-2)*tilew-globalx+touch.x,(-1*(v)*tileh)+touch.y-globaly,cratesize,cratesize)
                    setContext()
                end         
                    if touch.x>(i-1)*tilew+globalx and touch.x<(i-1)*tilew+globalx+cratesize/2 and touch.y>(v-1)*tileh+globaly and touch.y<(v-1)*tileh+globaly+cratesize/2 and i>1 and v>1 then
                    --leaks into mesh down and to the left
                    setContext(bgimg[v-1][i-1])
                    sprite(crater,-(i-2)*tilew-globalx+touch.x,(-1*(v-2)*tileh)+touch.y-globaly,cratesize,cratesize)
                    setContext()
                end         
            end
       end 
    sprite("Cargo Bot:Star Filled",touch.x,touch.y,cratesize,cratesize)
    end  
end

Hi @West

We’ve encountered that issue too. Are you using an iPad 3? It has to do with the way video recording changes the screen resolution. We are working to fix this problem in the next release.

Hi @West, unfortunatly, i don’t have the answer for your problem, just wanted to tell you that your Slide Scroller video is awsome!

Hi @John, yes it’s an iPad 3

@yelnats Thanks -another work in progress, but I keep getting distracted by new ideas! I wonder if I’ll actually ever finish a game

Hi @West, I’ve fixed this bug, you can expect it in our next major release (1.5)