New version by Christmas?

Hopefully, the new version will hit before this does.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/technology/app-makers-face-holiday-cutoff-for-apple-store.htm?_r=2

I hope so. It’s in Apple’s hands, though.

A question to everyone: should we put Codea on sale for the holidays? If so, how much would you suggest, $5?

I’m incredibly cheap. No, really - Codea is the second most expensive app I ever bought (issh was 10 bucks). I bought it first day I saw it.

Even from my penny-pincher standpoint, I don’t see $8 as not being worth it (far from it!), and the difference between $5 and $8 is basically nonexistent. To put it another way - I can’t see someone “on the edge” thinking about getting Codea making the jump just because the price drops to 5 bucks.

I’m torn about the price - it’s beneficial to you to have lots of Codea users out there; the more of us there are, the more buzz, and the more chance of awesome Codea apps to encourage more people to buy. But - you want to make money to be able to keep developing it as well. There’s a “maximum return” point somewhere, but heck if I know what it is.

I’d consider dropping it to a buck, for like a week, if you’re going to drop the price. Or I’d not drop it at all.

Frankly - I’d consider selling it bulk rate to computer science programs for schools. :slight_smile:

Good point about the price difference. It has educational discount enabled for institutions that want to purchase.

If you make the bulk rate educational discount super high (so they can get it for like a buck or two) - you could get a whole generation hooked.

Because, seriously - this is the most fun I’ve had programming since the 8 bit days. I’m programming for fun now, not because my work makes me, not because I need to accomplish something. But that sort of really accessible programming environment largely disappeared after those days - something a kid can take off on their own and just explore for hours at a time. The ipad is big enough you can do real stuff on it - and small enough you can curl up in your room and make TEH AWESOME. A really accessible student or educational discount would prime the pump, I’d think.

My opinion is that if you were to drop the price, only to it to 6 or 7 dollars. Your app is worth about $20.

I recommend putting on sale after the new year as “something to do during the winter” (for the northern hemisphere anyway).

Another time would be at the start of summer (again northern hemisphere) as “keeping your kids mind engaged”. Speaking of which when are kids off school down under? Now or in six months?

Since Lua hails from Rio possibly a Carnival sale

February 18th 2012
February 9th 2013
March 1st 2014

I’m cheap. I think $20 is too much. IMO, Codea is worth $10, at maximum. I mean with currently all requested features available and much lesser bugs. Current price point is quite appropriate, not too expensive nor too cheap. Unless, Codea is able to create native app to be sold on the App Store with less hassle, it is worth $20, or $40 at maximum (with XCode-like capabilities). Well, I compare it to Apple’s app price standard e.g. GarageBand, a universal app with such tremendous capability is only $5. Or iWork which costs $10 each. I bought all Apple iOS apps because they are sooo good. :slight_smile:

I agree with @Bortels, if TwoLivesLeft wants to drop the price during holiday, make it a buck to get enough attention, or don’t drop it at all. The educational discount is great.

I also agree about the fun part of coding using Codea. Todays dev kits are too complex for beginners. They can’t just open and experiment with it with simple commands like the way it was during the good old days of Basic or Pascal. :slight_smile:

I suspect if Codea had been $10, I would have balked, but eventually bought it. If it was more, I may never have got it. Codea is great fun, in hindsight it’s worth a lot more than the 8 I paid - but an app is only worth what you can convince people to pay for it.

Something I’ve been thinkng about…what’s the long term plan for you Codea?

I mean at some point you’re not going to be selling that many apps anymore (hopefully never!) but my undestanding is that to really make a living out of
apps you need a huge hit or to churn out lots of apps.

@Simon, you’ve mentioned open sourcing the app and sounds like a great idea and with a nice community developing, it could really keep it moving for a long time.

But how would that work under the model where Apple needs to approve each new version?

I guess I’m just having so much fun with it that I just want to figure out where we’re going.

Anyway, once again thanks for this amazing app!

It’s open sourcing the execution engine not the editor.

This open sourced engine would be included in apps that we submit individually on our own.

When it gets to that point one of us will make something famous and it will be tracked back to Codea as being the prototype environment for the famous app.

I’m a big believer in experimenting with different price points and testing to see what changes in volume different priceing strategies produce. Then you can plot a few points on a price elasticity curve and see if there is an obvious knee that can inform how you would maximize sales volume times price. You might find that there is very little elasticity up to like $25 and you’re leaving money on the table at lower prices. Alternatively, you might discover that at $.99 you get 10x the volume. Different apps price very differently, and you might never know until you test.

The most successful strategies in the app store generally follow the fremium model, where there is a free emasculated version that won’t save, or is missing some coveted functionality that you can get with an upgrade to the full premium priced version.

You might also consider some market segmentation strategies, with different feature sets priced at different levels, to see where your highest volume sits. But in that case, you have to be careful about cheaper versions stealing market share from your higher margin versions.

If you haven’t already, you should google optimal iPhone app pricing strategies and read a few articles. We’ve done a bunch of this if you’d like to chat more.

Hi Simeon,

speaking as a someone who has bought hundreds of apps (just checked my mobile applications folder: 814 items/40.22 Gb for the iPhone and iPad over the past years!) I have to say that without a doubt Codea is the best purchase for iOS that I have made and worth much, much more than what I paid. But, like others have mentioned, this of course is in hindsight.

Codea is fun!

In terms of Appstore pricing we are all terribly spoiled, all millionaire kids in a candy store. The current price of Codea is less than the price of a movie ticket, or a loaf of good bread, or a couple of coffees (at least here in the Netherlands).

Thank you for this great application!

(Good comments all. Nice to see so much love for Codea and concern for supporting its development.)

Edit: There is something to be said for products which never go on sale (respect).

Edit2: Concerning a couple points Mr. Bortels made above:

"It's beneficial to you to have lots of Codea users out there; the more of us there are, the more buzz, and the more chance of awesome Codea apps to encourage more people to buy."

Very true. This forum and the generosity of its users in creating tutorials, offering advice and their own examples is invaluable. I’d be absolutely lost without it.

"Frankly - I'd consider selling it bulk rate to computer science programs for schools."

I would add: art and design schools (the current Processing market/ecosystem).

In terms of Appstore pricing we are all terribly spoiled, all millionaire kids in a candy store. The current price of Codea is less than the price of a movie ticket, or a loaf of good bread, or a couple of coffees (at least here in the Netherlands).

That’s true for most people on developed countries. For people from developing countries, like me, common AppStore’s pricing is still quite expensive. We expect app price to be between $1 to $3, or max $5 (if it’s really good). Unless we really need the app for productivity (something that helps us making money), we will tolerate if it costs more. :slight_smile:

Granted @bee. But are people from the “developed” countries any different?

OTOH, I find it ironic how in this age of “as cheap as possible” and “we would prefer to have it for free” how I, personally, value (read: appreciate) most the things I pay for.

Interesting blog post on pricing App Store apps, written by developers of a niche game. I think some of that applies to Codea, too.

http://kingofdragonpass.blogspot.com/2011/09/money-talks.html

@Szleski… Hey, good link (I was already planning to pick up King of Dragon Pass when it goes Universal). I find the first comment is especially apt:

"More important thing being a premium game, KoDP is a one-of-a-kind game."

Codea obviously is one-of-a-kind in spades. There is no other alternative on the appstore (iLuaBox Pro is text only, Coders is nowhere as complete).

For my 2-lives worth…I jumped at the chance to buy Codea at the $7 price-point. Being a computer scientist and knowing the barrier Apple presents to anyone writing applications for iOS devices, this product is truly amazing. I can prototype applications in a very short time and present them to interested parties. I could go on and on but I am preaching to the choir here :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your feedback, very good points Everyone.

I guess we’ll let it stay at the same price over Christmas, and keep working on updates and the open source runtime.

@Bortels, @bee while Codea has an educational discount. I have no idea how much it is discounted when sold to educational institutions, I believe Apple decides that when an educational purchase is made. All we are allowed to do is say “yes” or “no” to educational discounts.

@alvelda interesting points, we’ll be creating a free Codea Player app soon, so perhaps that will provide a baseline for segmentation.

@Ipda41001 I like your Carnival idea. And post-Christmas is probably better for experimenting with pricing, if we do that.

@ruilov I’d really like to make a Mac Codea editor, and of course open source the runtime (the code is just so messy at the moment). If I make a Mac version of the editor, I’d like to release it for free.

@szleski Dylan loves King of Dragon Pass. It sounds like a really good game.

I’d advertise the educational discount - get the CS teachers involved. Even if you don’t make a lot of profit at it now - it’ll pay off in the future, for everyone involved.

and +5 points for suggesting art and graphic design schools, @Blanchot! spot on - Codea’s design lends itself to the kind of Processing-demo stuff, and frankly we need their input! Good Coders and Good Designers are a force multiplier - you get much more than the sum of the parts. When I was in my CS classes, they always teamed us up with other code wonks in our classes - no good! Team us up with the graphics arts guys, and you’d have seen some awesome stuff come out.