New jailbreak IOS 6

Hi,

I see that it is now possible to jailbreak IOS 6 :wink:
So I have some questions if I use the runtime library to finish up my Codea script to a Standalone App.

Is it possible to use the iPad directly instead of the simulator and without paying the developer fee ?

Lua on a Mac is capable of using UDP sockets if I understand correctly.
Can this be added to a script using X-code directly or does some extra library from outside need to be installed ?
Maybe add some C# code to the script, but I have no idea on how ( X-code is defenately not a friend of mine)

Final step would be to build and install to the jailbroken iPad.
And this is done how ?

I realize some of these, or maybe all, questions may be found in some Google searches, but I ask here trying to find a good path and because I think others may be asking the same.

Re Peter

EDIT. After sending this I came to think that it may be not OK to talk about the subject in the forum. So if that is the case please tell me and I will edit (remove) my post.

I think there is a possible solution. You may install your unsigned ipa packed by xcode using Codea Runtime from your computer. Thatā€™s the first step. Then everytime you want to ā€œinstallā€ your new programs,just use something like ifiles to copy your resources from Codeaā€™s documents folder. Replace those in your preinstalled Codea Runtime based-app. Then respring your device.(I havenā€™t test it so itā€™s just a thought, and I donā€™t intend to jailbreak my device too^_^)

Weā€™ve spoken about jailbroken devices here before. Itā€™s perfectly legal. (you canā€™t jailbreak the baseband on a cell, but thatā€™s a different issue). So long as people donā€™t devolve into piracy/warez, I donā€™t expect issues.

Iā€™ve been jailbroken forever - I only just upgraded to 6.1 yesterday because I was unwilling to lose my jailbreak. I use it for rsync wireless backup, and for poking the internals of things to understand how they work, and for terminal access, and for a while I was playing with self-hosting apps (ie. running apache locally).

You can, with a jailbroken device, make your own software, and install and run it. The process is NOT EASY. In a nutshell, you make it as you would for submission to the app store, then copy it over and then either tell your ipad to run unsigned code, or sign the app with a new key thatā€™s been wedged in for the jailbreak - the process has varied, and Iā€™m not sure what the ā€œrightā€ way is now.

Back a while ago, we had the full sockets API in a beta to see how it might work - the traditional, desktop version. It was ugly, mainly because listening at a socket is a blocking activity in the regular lua library. In the end, TLL added the current API, because callbacks make it much more usable in the Codea event loop. You might be better off with UDP, at least sending, because itā€™s fire and forget, but writing something to listen and update the screen would be a trick with the original libraries. Iā€™d be bugging TLL to add UDP (really - just a listener callback would do the trick), but 95% of all of what Iā€™ve tried to do is http, so the need has gone way down (for me, at least).

Hello @Bortels not excatly the some subject, but since i can see you here, i have a plugin question for you: i am trying to rip big jpeg images into small parts to open them in codea on my ipad1. I can now read the binary with io.* . I have got some source code (in C) to decode the jpeg: it is going to be a lot of work to port it into Lua, so i hesitateā€¦ Iā€™ve seen imageMagik has some version for ios but it is xcode to be compiled, and i cant do that yet. Iā€™ve seen image magik has 3 php versions (and one for perl too) so using http request and server side processing could be a solution. Although it is a bit overkillā€¦ Do you have any simpler solution to do this?

.@Jmv38 is there any reason you canā€™t pre-process the large files on your PC to break them into ā€œtilesā€ to use within Codea? If you came up with a structured naming system, you could easily render massive, seamless looking images in Codea just by making sure you only keep the visible tiles in memory.

Think of it like Google maps ā€” it is really a huge image broken into lots of tiles.

Hi @Simeon. Well if i really needed to, i could do it from a PC, you are right. But since this is all just a game, and i love the ipad, and i hate being on a PC, i like the challenge ā€˜do it all from your ipadā€™ and this is what i am trying to complete. My pleasure is to push the ipad as far as possible, with my limited competences. Before discovering Codea, i was thinking ā€˜this ipad is completely useless, unless i want to be a milking cow for Appleā€™. But now i am really having fun! So the anwer to your question (is there any reason forā€¦) is: ā€˜yes, the challenge!ā€™.
PS: and i am sure that you, the worshipped father of Codea, a tool that makes possible the impossible, understand what i mean! :wink:

are the big images too big for codea to load? If not, just loading it once, then using sprite() to composite and save sub-images would be easy enough.

Otherwise, it will be hugely difficult inside of Codea; youā€™d have to read and decode the jpeg ā€œby handā€, and jpg isnā€™t super friendly (and we still donā€™t have bit operations, so itā€™d be slowwwww). And then figure out how to only grab sub-regions. I wonā€™t say impossible - but it would be hugely difficult. I agree with @Simeon - this is a processing task you do elsewhere, and grab the smaller tiles.

And - given this is a jailbreak thread, and itā€™s most a stunt - Elsewhere could be ā€œon the ipad, outside of codeaā€. You mentioned Imagemagick - itā€™s available in Cydia. So - Jailbreak, go into Cydia, install Imagemagic, go to the command line (I bought iSSH long ago), and run the proper commands to segment the jpegs there. :slight_smile:

Ha Bortels! I love you! Thanks a lot, iā€™m going to have a look at Cydia.

I canā€™t find imagemagick on Cydia, but iā€™ve seen a packet where they enable php:gd. My webhost supports gd, so ithink iā€™ll try to cut the images with php:gd on my server side. Then i donā€™t even need the jaibreak, and i should be able to do it from codea with http request.

The packages Cydia offers depend on how you answered the question at the beginning - ā€œuserā€, ā€œhackerā€, or ā€œdeveloperā€. Iā€™m guessing you said ā€œuserā€, but if youā€™re monkeying with codea, youā€™re at least a ā€œhackerā€ - wear it proudly.

You can change that by hitting the ā€œsourcesā€ tab at the bottom, hitting ā€œsettingsā€, and choosing ā€œhackerā€ (or ā€œdeveloperā€ if youā€™re saucy). if that doesnā€™t do it, you stumped me.

Iā€™ve eventually found this package. But i hesitate: 1/ theRe are many posts on the web about people having problems with this package conflicting with some cydia ressource. 2/ it is a ā€˜consoleā€™ tool i have to run via ā€˜sshā€™ā€¦ I never did that, i dont want to mess with my ipad. I think iā€™ll try php:gd first. Thanks for your help.

the risk is low, but I understand. ssh/console is the same as the OS X Terminal program, or the windows command prompt, fwiw. Itā€™s just a different interface to the software. I donā€™t see anything in a quick google about incompatibilities - but if there are, it would certainly be with other Cydia packages, not the ios itself. Iā€™d love to see a link if you have one, because Iā€™m curious - Iā€™ve used ImageMagik for years, and itā€™s fairly standalone; I canā€™t imagine how it would conflict with other things.

Tap imagemagick cydia in safari google.
You get:
tut-how-to-fix-imagemagick-issues-with-bootlogo.
imagemagick animate-wont-install.
I cant uninstall imagemagick.
I donā€™t know if i am concerned by those problems, but i donā€™t want to take a chance if i can avoid itā€¦ But maybe if eventually i learn how to use the command line i will end up saying ā€˜peace of cakeā€™, but it is too much learning for the moment, iā€™ve saturated my free neuronā€¦

So - from reading the above, the conflict occurs between imagemagick and some animated boot logo thing, which installs a partial copy of imagemagick on itā€™s own (rather than doing whatā€™s proper, and declaring imagemagick as a prerequisite). The failure is either imagemagick failing to install, or the logo not animating.

In any event - not installing one or the other means you donā€™t run into issues, and the failure mode is minor. Installing stuff in cydia is as safe as (indeed - probably safer than) installing software on your desktop computer, so long as you donā€™t do dumb things (the dumbest being going to random ā€œwarezā€ sites - unless you want a trojan or two).

But - if you really wanted to learn about unix, the ipad isnā€™t a great place for it, frankly. OS X is different, and ios even moreso. Iā€™d suggest when you have free brainspace grabbing a regular linux install (ubuntu is popular, Iā€™m playing with centos right now as well) and trying it out on a desktop box.