Moving Game to Another iPad

I’ve developed a game on my iPad that I’d like to try on other iPads. What are my options for moving it over? The discussions I’ve seen seem to involve getting a Mac and a Developer license. Is this the only possibility? Thanks.

@ScottDafydd - As I understand it, I think love.codea isn’ t the full implementation of Codea and omits meshes, physics etc… Although, I guess this could be an option for very simple projects.

@DaveW - I’d really have a look at Apples Developer Enterprise pricing for education and see what sort of deal you could get. :wink:

I’m fairly new at this whole codea thing but might not love.codea be a possible solution for the op? From what I understand, this is a way to run codea programs on other computers/devices but I may have misunderstood…

You could simply buy codea licences. For up to 10 ipads it will be cheaper that paying a dev licence to apple.

@Jmv38 Ten iPads all running the same Apple ID would only require buying Codea once. Different Apple IDs means Codea being bought required. Both of these would require the source code being given away, too.

I think you mean beta testing of an app, though. You could use an Apple Developer License, or try Googling TestFlight.

@DaveW - you didn’t explicitly say what your motivation for moving your game onto other iPads was (e.g. testing? education/classroom use? internal business use only? etc…)

Unfortunately, what-ever reason, you cannot deploy a compiled App to multiple device without an Apple Developer Account - this includes using TestFlight which needs an account as well.

Although, as @Jmv38 says, there’s nothing stopping you exporting your code to run via Codea on multiple iPads.

As a side-note, Apple does an ‘Enterprise’ version of the Developer Account which can be used by companies and organisations who write their own proprietary Apps and don’t want to publish on the App Store:

https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/

This could be a good option for anyone in education or in business who wants to deploy and test their App internally. :slight_smile:

I’m working on an app for students at the local school. It uses the school and staff as sprites so it probably wouldn’t be of much interest to other people. The school has a few iPad 1s which won’t run Codea, I think. Was hoping there would be a way to put the app on those iPads. With luck, some new iPads are in the future. Will try the Codea route then. Thanks.

Codea runs on iPad1

@DaveW Since it’s for a school project, you may want to look at getting a license for the whole school district, which may help defray the costs if other schools want to do similar projects. Also, as a school, you may be able to get a deal from Apple (not a huge one, mind you. :slight_smile: )

JakAttak, I was thinking the iPad 1s stopped at IOS 4.x. I’ll check on them if we ever have school again here in the WV mountains. We’ve been out for a week and a half this last stretch, will be out tomorrow, and Thursday doesn’t look good.

I’m not familiar with lovecodea but will look at it. The game does use physics.

If it is OK to run Codea on 10 iPads with one license, I’ll probably try that first.

Thanks to all!

My personal feeling on running one license on multiple iPads is that it is acceptable within a family sharing an iTunes account but if it’s for a large number of iPads in a school setting, multiple licenses should be purchased. @Simeon and TLL work hard on Codea and each copy that is installed off of one license takes money out of their pockets. Codea is an amazing app and if the income starts drying up then I’m sure it will be harder for TLL to keep the awesome updates coming. They should be compensated for their hard work.

This is just my 2 cents and I have no idea how TLL feels about this.

It’s fine to do 10 iPad with one license, but if you’re using it for school, you should try using volume purchases (I don’t kno quite how they work, though).

Slightly off-topic @Briarfox Does Apple pay the developers if an app is bought using credit on their account? I got my own iPad and my own Apple ID and re-bought Codea with credits from Apple’s Black Friday sale. (I would assume they would.)

@SkyTheCoder I would assume they do.

btw the above post was just my personal opinion. Do whatever you feel is right.

The iTunes license agreement says, " If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download and sync an App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on one or more iOS Devices used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals, on a single shared iOS Device you own or control. For example, a single employee may use an App Store Product on both the employee’s iPhone and iPad, or multiple students may serially use an App Store Product on a single iPad located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each iOS Device used serially by multiple users requires a separate license." So, I don’t think I should put one copy on 10 iPads. Please let me know if I am misinterpreting. Thanks.