iPad Pro image naming convention

If I have done my math correctly, the iPad Pro should have an image size of @2.66x
I assume we will not be calling the images (image@2.66x.png)

Will the naming convention just be image@3x.png

It will be image@2x, I believe. That is 2x2 pixels are treated as one logical point on the iPad Pro.

Will Codea support the screen size of the iPad Pro? Or will it not fill the screen like iPhone apps couldn’t fill the iPad screen when the iPad first came out? Loving Codea! I’ve had it for a long time. If the 3.0 version came out as a new paid app I’d buy again in an instant!

@jman4414 thanks! Glad you like Codea.

I will try to support the iPad Pro soon after release, if not immediately. If we ever do a paid upgrade (not sure we will, don’t have plans relating to that) we will use the App Store bundle feature to allow existing users to upgrade for less.

The next update will be 2.3.2 and will focus on iOS 9 support and a few new features.

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly, before I start making new artwork.
For 1024x768 iPads I create a Sprite, say 100x100 and name it image.png
For retina iPads I create a Sprite 200x200 and name it image@2x.png
For iPad Pro, I do not create an image at 266x266?
Will the image be smaller on iPad Pro, or does it get ups called automatically to 266x266?

Thanks

@MrCoxall the iPad Pro and iPad Retina both have identical screen resolutions: 264 PPI

So the same @2x asset will look identical on both devices — down to its physical size. The iPad Pro just has a lot more space (2732x2048) to display stuff.

A region of 200x200 pixels on the iPad Retina will be identical in size to a region of 200x200 pixels on the iPad Pro. You just have more pixels on the Pro.

Ok, now I understand.

Does this mean if you do not change anything and continue to reference location off the bottom left corner, that there will be black bars at the top and right?

What would be the best practise in designing 2d games?
Should you reference everything off the center and then just have “unused” live space around the edge?

Thanks, Patrick

I think that depends on the game

@MrCoxall @Ignatz is correct but there are probably some sensible basics you could implement.

Crossy Road is a great example of a game that scales to pretty much anything. You can play it in portrait or landscape, on iPad or iPhone. And even the new Apple TV. There are some orientations that let you see further ahead — i.e., some orientations are more advantageous than others — but the developer realised this doesn’t really matter and it’s more important to just let people play how they want.