iOS 9

Anyone game enough to have installed the beta of iOS 9? Dying to have a play but I can’t risk my phone cos its effectively the heart of my business. I also don’t want to risk killing Codea on my iPad because you can’t retrofit the older firmware? What to do? :expressionless:

wait 3 months

There’ll be a beta for the public in July if you want it early. Also, to my knowledge with apples public betas, you can revert to the current release software.

Here’s the website to sign up for the apple beta program

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/welcome

I’ll be testing it soon

One thing that looks interesting is a split screen.

Would a Metal API be possible in Codea? I know nothing about iOS development beyond Codea

Maybe create games for Mac using Codea (suggestion)

I forgot I have my older iPhone 5 hanging around. I think I’m gonna get a SIM for it and play with it on that for now. I’ll wait till Simeon has tested it on the iPad before I risk that side of things though. @Mr_Ninja The developer website explicitly says no retrofitting older firmware on iOS devices.

I’ve got plenty of spare Macs floating around so I’m definitely downloading El Capitan over the weekend to play with that.

To quote the apple beta program faq

"How do I get a shipping version of iOS back on my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
Always back up your iOS device before installing beta software. To get a shipping release of iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can simply install the final version of the software you are testing when it appears in Software Update. If you would like to go back to a previously released version, you must first erase the beta software, then re-install the latest shipping version of iOS, and finally restore from your previously saved iTunes backup. 
Learn more about how to erase and install iOS 
Learn more about restoring from an iTunes backup"

I’ve been testing 9 on my phone and iPad. For the most part, things work and the little PIP screen is nifty. However, there have been a lot of sporadic failures of text messages, Bluetooth, WiFi, and some odd momentary lockups. In short, exactly the kind of thing you expect with a beta OS. However, it seems more stable so far than last year’s beta of 8.

iOS 9 Beta seems fairly stable right now, I might not flash it on my primary phone, but on a backup or your iPad you should be fine.

@Mr_Ninja Thanks - I must have misread the documentation. Still I think I will wait till the boss has had a play :slight_smile:

@yojimbo2000 I’m quite interested in Metal (it would remove the need for automated batching done by the Codea render engine). Of course, the shading language for Metal is entirely different and so it would invalidate the use of GLSL shaders. I’m not sure if this is worth the tradeoff as GLSL is fairly approachable and well known in comparison to Metal.

@Simeon Maybe an option for a project to use OpenGL or Metal, defaulting to OpenGL?

Metal is for A7?

@Simeon Yes, I love glsl and use shaders all the time, and it’s a very widely adopted standard. If it’s not possible for Metal and glsl to coexist ( @SkyTheCoder 's idea), then I’d vote to stick with glsl. Would it be possible to add OpenGL 3.0 support to Codea?

Also Metal is only for the newer models iPad mini 3, iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 - if you’re not careful it could mean Codea wouldn’t work on older devices.

+1 yojimbo2000