iOS 7 Users

@JakAttak it’s actually much nicer, Codea updates will be coming more regularly partially due to the new TestFlight.

ios8 for me. With a few more options the sidebar could save a lot of UI work-keep it even for exported apps.

I think the main reason people want a universal build is more so that people can test their code on phones rather than dev on them, therefore getting an easy way to share projects between devices is paramount.

@Simeon, would it be possible for Codea to sync projects to your own dropbox like it does for text / image assets?

@TechDojo I think Codea did something similar before and Apple didn’t agree with it. A good feature would be to sync OTA with close by devices when both have Codea open and both hit sync.

@Crumble Its a lot easier to carry your iPad with you if you carry a backpack everywhere.

The money aspect of Codea is important. Making the iPhone version would increase the amount of upkeep that would have to be done to keep it and the iPad version in good health. The smaller screen isn’t as a big of a hindrance for texting as it is for programing. With programing, I want to be able to see as much code as possible, especially while typing. I think its a good idea if it doesn’t pull away from other updates.

I remember, but I seem to recall it was to do with emailing projects from inside the app to other users, backing up a project to your own dropbox to a zip file should in theory be a different matter (given that we can already do an xcode export to a .zip in dropbox)

@TechDojo I agree that people would want to test their projects on their phones rather than do a lot of work on them.

I don’t see how Codea going universal would be a good thing. The only reason you would care about how your project ran on an iPhone is if you want to publish. If your making your project to publish, theres lots of other ways to test it on a iPhone.

So Codea on iPhone would only be used if you didn’t have an iPad around which might be often for some people but there are a lot of people that take there iPad everywhere with them.

If it were to be made, your projects would have to be synced across all of your devices. It would not be very useful to people who have the iPad version if it wasn’t. This is something that could have some scary bugs.

As far as I see it, the biggest market for this is people who don’t have an iPad.

I think that the time and effort would be better spent adding other features to Codea.

@Goatboy76 You really carry your iPad around everywhere you go? I think that the Codea users that do bring their iPad everywhere, do it because they don’t have Codea on their iPhone.

I don’t see why people think Codea on iPhone would be that hard to use. People text all day on the tiny keyboard… same thing.

I would love Codea on iPhone, and would probably use it more than the iPad version. Not to mention there are wayyyy more iPhones out there than iPads, so for Simeon the time would be better spent making it universal because he would probably triple his sales of Codea.

@Crumble I take my iPad with my everywhere I go, and I don’t have an iPhone. It’s easy enough to carry, especially because they’re so light nowadays :wink:

I beg to differ. I have an iPhone 6+ and feel it is more then adequate to code on. I do not own a Mac so the only way I can test my app is to borrow a friends Mac. It would be nice to be able to test and code on my iPhone without having to borrow a computer.
In addition between a Bluetooth keyboard and air code I feel the small screen size can be compensated for.

iOS 8.2 on iPad Air1, iPhone 6+ as of this morning. No problems yet. My CODEA Enlightment is aimed at expanding the existing editor (@Simeon super job but programmers always want more) so it will be easier to dev/read code on smaller screen or even on larger iPad retina screen. Sorry I 'm not as fast as @Ignatz and @Simeon at coding or this would have been out long ago.

where is CODEA Enlightment? does it come out? i like educational app

CODEA Enlightment is my personal effort to make CODEA programs easier for me to read and create.

I will Gist it if a) there is enough interest and b) I can make it usable at least by my girlfriend. She programmed mostly in COBOL and is now learning CODEA mostly because I need someone to talk to in person about this stuff.

CODEA Enlightment is a standard CODEA project which thanks to readProjectTab and saveProjectTab can function as my own expansion of the excellent CODEA editor.

If I had had CODEA and an iPad back in the late 1960’s, CODEA Enlightment would have been my Ph.D. thesis.

Now that I’m retired, I’m doing the coding without having to write and defend the thesis or satisfying a bunch of academics with no real world experience.

I 've been a programmer since 1963 mostly on small one person projects with lots of user involvement and no formal specs.

@CodingOnNapkins It sounds nice. If u won’t public it, could u share your ideas and methods about making CODEA programs easier to read and create, or make a video demo?

this thread was for Simeon to count how many people are under ios7. For other discussions, could you make another thread? Thanks.

I also have an iPad 2 with not enough space to install iOS 8. If Codea was updated only on iOS 8 this may be the reason to get a new iPad (there are already a few other apps that are exclusively available for iOS 8)