Importing .codea files in latest Codea - workarounds

I am chaos.

I am the substance from which your artists and scientists build rhythms.

I am the spirit with which your children and clowns laugh in happy anarchy.

I am chaos.

I am alive, and I tell you that you are free.

I like the idea of copy and paste a single block of source into a new project tab with some kind of embedded instructions/comments that tell Codea to create new tabs.

Would it be possible for Codea to have its own built-in browser to import .codea or .xml or .txt files into a new project or is that against the rules too? I’ve seen a few apps that do that kind of thing e.g. Modizer which will import/download old mod/tracker style song files (from old Amiga/ST/console games usually) and play them.

Simeon/TLL - thank you for a fantastic iPad app!

@mpw1966uk an embedded browser is a good idea. But I think anything we do regarding importing will have to be vetted by Apple at this point. If we try to include anything without being up front about it they are likely to remove the app.

I keep getting a message from the iExplorer telling me I have used up my 5 browses for this session. Is there a way to turn this off?

I’d rather people grabbed my code from the GitHub repo than from an unpacked old version. Maybe a bookmarklet could copy the code to the clipboard so it’s easier to copy and paste it on the iPad.

@Nat - You might as well just select the code, copy it, and then put it in each correct tab. If TLL made a feature that lets you copy a chunk of code and put it into Codea with all the code already organized into tabs, that’s technically importing.

@Bortels: did I understand that properly that upload of code does not work from iPad?

@CrazyEd - It wouldn’t work on an iPad with their lack of a file system.

Ah, yes, thought about something like this… Thanks for clarification, wasn’t sure about that

I also just tried it with Phone Drive and that doesn’t allow it either.

@crazyed - you cant upload directly to the page from the iPad - you’d need to email to posterous or such, then use a pc to upload it to the decoder.

TLL - I’m unclear, can we export projects still???

e-mail export is not in the current production build 1.2.7

Well, boo - the app store rules say nothing about exporting code.

FWIW, some people (me, fer instance) export projects primarily for the purpose of backing them up. I just finished copy-pasting the content of about a dozen tabs into a text file, so I could upload it to Dropbox. :frowning: So I hope the good people at Apple will lighten up.

Davidhof, for backup I use iexplorer and copy/paste the entire codea directory at once.

@Zoyt: people have complained that it is very difficult to select and copy an entire code file from GitHub’s repository browser when using Safari on the iPad. So a bookmarklet might be useful to make that process easier.

the decodea site apparently deals poorly with .codea files with spaces in the name. Will look into it later today - until then, removing spaces from the .codea filename is a simple workaround.

Mabel add a “Open from URL” option for iPad users so you don’t have to use a computer.

Awesome. It almost drives me insane when people use old version of codea then post projects (no offense of course) but I really want to do them but can’t.