I'd like to be able to launch a program directly from the main screen

Title says it all, really. When using a program, I’d like to be able to straight to the program screen rather than having to go via the code. Just looks a little slicker, and means that little fingers are less likely to modify a crucial part of the code! (My daughter’s current favourite is one that I made to try out touches which lets you “flick” a ball around the screen.)

Seconded - one of my main testers is Maddy, my 3 year old - and she will happily type all over the code. Maybe a “launch when selected” setting you could toggle, or hold for the menu on the icon to get “edit”.

I’ll upload my “test” app. It’s very simple (I intend to make it into a tutorial for touch if no-one comes up with a better one), but insanely addictive … if your (mental) age is about 6.

Yes please for that insanely addictive “test” app / touch tutorial…

+1 for ability to launch project right from the main screen! :smiley:

Plus, ability to “promote” user code into read-only example “zone”. This would prevent any unwanted modification to the “finished” programs. :slight_smile:

It might be the case that there’s simply a free Codea Player app that can import and play your projects without the code editor. Would this be okay?

That is our plan, anyway.

If there was an easy way to push projects from Codea to the player, yes, that would work. For me, at least.

The player idea gets my vote. Separating “runnable” and “writeable” code would be a great idea.

Codea Player would be nice, especially if it’s free. It’d be great if it use iCloud so project sharing between Codea editor and player can be seamless.

It will be free. And a significant portion of it will be open source so you can run .codea projects as full iOS apps.

Even better would be if Codea could add a project to the device’s home screen like Safari does with web apps.

@Blanchot: Touch tutorial (with the bizarrely addictive “game”) now on the wiki.

@Andrew… working my way through the last bit of it now! What an excellent tutorial! – and in my case, timely – as I had a question earlier today involving touches to which Simeon posted a very useful bit of OO code in reply and your tutorial helps me understand it better.

Would you be willing at some point to cast some light on the shades of vectors and classes?