Huge 3D Dungeon Updates

Nice! Thanks!

I cant play your video on my ipad… strange.
[edit] it finally worked… strange.
Your dunjon looks great: really creapy and scary!
[edit] for anyone interested: i think i know why the video doesnt start: it is because youtube is broadcasting a commercial, but it doesnt show on Safari. Tapping the bottom right (where is usually ‘ignore’ button, makes the video run…)

Good work @Ignatz - always interested in cool 3d things done in Codea. Are you going to take it any further?

@andymac3d - I don’t know, the next stage would be to add characters, but that’s where the difficulty really ramps up

It’s encouraging to see that you can have a big map without killing FPS, though…

By the way, I’m happy to share anything that anybody wants, just ask. I haven’t posted the code because it’s a bit messy at the moment.

yeah, please share it. Also, the Quake 1 source code is open-source. it might be really interesting to port it to Codea!

Honestly, I really don’t mind messy source code, I’d love to see this.

Certainly most impressive Ignatz! Another great job! Side Question: How long did it take you to learn Codea well to the point where you could make “advanced” games?

It’s hard to say, because I’ve been hobby programming for decades, and this project is probably close to the biggest I have built, and yet, it is probably only 30% of a finished game.

I would split it into two parts

1. General programming

2. 3D graphics

The first is really learning how to create and manage large software projects. If you aren’t well organised, you will get in a mess. This requires an understanding and some practice with classes, tables, and writing a lot of code. It’s the same as if you are learning to write reports or play tennis - you can read all the books and advice, but it’s only by practising that you will actually learn to do it well. I would think a minimum of 6 months. There are some experienced programmers on the forum who can help you with improving your code.

The second item I can be more specific about, because I have dates on my blog posts as I was learning Codea. It took me about 3-6 months to learn enough to start building 3D projects that were more than just blocks, including shaders, terrain, 3D models, and lighting. I am poor at visualising graphics in my head, so I found it hard (but I was determined).

There is no question in my mind that 3D programming is far and away the most difficult thing you can do in Codea, because there are several difficult subjects you need to master, and Codea gives you all the tools, but it’s up to you to learn how to use them. And I’m not even done - I still haven’t attempted building 3D scale models, which requires outside software like Blender.

But if you want to know if it’s worth it, I would say yes, yes, yes. Despite all the frustration, I don’t think I’ve ever had so much fun programming. And if I can get this far, then you probably can, too, because I am not professionally trained. And what you learn is exactly what you need if you want to go on to more professional programming of graphics. Codea is not a toy - the graphics are the real deal.

I’ve written ebooks on 3D in Codea, and shaders and lighting, if you are interested. These should hopefully make it much easier for you than it was for me. But you need to be pretty competent in general programming first (I also have an ebook on Lua, which you should master first).

I’m happy to help in any way I can, but I hope you can see it requires a lot of hard work from you!

Wonderful stuff. Well done.

The flip side of having some success with my enterprise coding is that I’m doing very little coding to please myself. I have to live vicariously through projects that others are putting together—and this one is off to a great start.

I’m sorry you don’t have the time, Mark.

I’ve started importing some 3D models created and shared by graphic artists. In particular, I was looking for bad guys who were easy to animate - specifically, without arms or legs that need realistic movement. And I found a wonderfully scary zombie. More soon.

Sacre bleu! What is @Jmv38 doing in my dungeon?

Ignatz, you’re an artist. I hope you know that.

:wink:

I didn’t do that, it’s a full 3D model I found. I saw it and had to have it. :smiley:

You never know, that could be @Monkeyman32123. :wink: