How old were you when to learned to program, and what language?

For me, I was eleven programming on some site called roblox, and the language was lua.

14, my current age, and Lua, but I know Batch Files and VB Scripting

I think I started learning when I was about 8 years old, on Apple IIe computers at school, where I had an excellent teacher who taught us how to program using BASIC. It changed my life. I also had a Kaypro 2 at home that happened to have BASIC on it as well, which helped reinforce what I was taught at school.

@Toadkick, Wow! Its amazing how fast things have changed over a few decades, isn’t it?

I first learned to program with TI-Basic on my Texas Instrument TI-82 shortly after they came out. 32kb of memory! I was around 13 and i’d make small animations and text based rpg’s. It made me rather popular later on in school. I’d write applications and share them with the class. It helped a few pass math class :slight_smile: It took the teachers awhile to catch on. When they did I was allowed to use whatever I wrote but could not share it :slight_smile:

That is awesome! Nowadays, at least around where I live, kids are not allowed to make programs to help them in math.

I do, they just dont know
My school isnt the most secure in tech or the smartest

I’m teaching right now 12 & 13 y. o. kids how to use lua for mathematics (I’m using this page : codebymath.com).

I think it was about 5 years old as my dad was in computers so we had access to his mainframes. I remember this puppy http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=143 around the house, I guess I would have been 6-7 when we had it.

@quezadav That site looks very interesting. Are you a teacher and using it in class, or is it as an after-school club?

On the main theme of the thread: sometime around 8,9 on a CBM64 using Basic.

Interesting thread! Me - 9ish, Basic on a Commodore Pet. Then I pestered my dad for a Sinclair ZX81 (then a Spectrum) and never looked back!

Indeed theres a whole generation of kids of my age who started off the same way - and these sorts of machines including the CBM64, VIC20, TI, TRS-80, Apple II… (have a look in your local museum if you want to see what they looked like!) all made it accesible for kids to get started with programming.

Thats what I like about Codea, it really has the same sort of vibe and hopefully is inspiring a whole new generation. :slight_smile:

I believe I was about 18 when the Apple 2 first appeared and I dabbled a bit with BASIC. Then later, I wrote a number of games for the TI 99/4 (in a mixture of extended BASIC and TMS 9900 assembly) when I was 19 or 20. But I didn’t start to program seriously until I was around 25 and Turbo Pascal came out.

I started programming around 27 on a TI SR 56 programmable calculator. That taught me logic with its loops and conditional commands. It also taught me to program small since it only had a 100 keystroke memory for programs. It also didn’t have anyway to save the programs which was another reason to keep the programs small. My next jump was to an Apple II computer with 16k of memory when those first appeared. I later Increased it to 48k and added a disk drive to replace the cassette recorder. I liked programming on it in 6502 assembler with it’s build in assembler/disassembler. I was already programming professionally by then, so programming on it was easy.

14 but stopped for a few years then carried on til now, Lua was my first language, well lua and C but C wasn’t one of my favourite languages…

18 - on a hacked TRS 80 color computer (64 kb ram hack) using Forth…then C and pascal.

I started a few months ago 13 years old and my only coding experience is lua on codea, but im not really good…

@Jessevanderheide We can all get better at programing :)>-

Started programming about 3 years ago, i was 11 or 12. Started with c++ because my friend was using that but changed to codea when i got a ipad two years ago.

@Andrew_Stacey, I’m a secondary school teacher in Mexico using Lua in class as an aid for, say, using typical mathematical algorithms, like Euclides’, for finding Gcd and so on. I was somehow inspired by a TED video of your countryman, Conrad Wolfram. By the way, what do you think about him and his vision of teaching kids real math with computers?
I, myself, began to program at a late age, because we hadn’t money for buying a computer, but I knew about Basic from foreign magazines when I was 12 or 13.

@quezadav That was very inspiring for me also, I would agree with everything he said besides using computers more then paper. As a species, we should teach both, that way if one way fails, we still have the other one to learn from.