How can i make an ipa?

I haven’t a computer Mac. Is it possible to make an ipa with codea and using it in another iPad?
Thanks in advance!

You’d need Xcode on a mac to make an ipa.

Ditto ^. If Codea made the IPA, they would need your Dev provision and would need to create a process to do the final perfection steps of an app. And apple wouldn’t allow it. X(

What is the point then? I do not understand then to serve.
I can make a program with Codea and what can i do then?

What is the point then?

l’art pour l’art :slight_smile:

I wonder if someone – not necessarily Codea – could set up as a publisher? They could take Codea submissions, evaluate them, help get apps ready for publication, and run them up to the store. In exchange, taking a percentage.

I’m sorry for my bad english!
I would like to make an educative program for my children and to be able to share it in another iPad but I am thinking that is not possible,isn’t it?

You can share with another Codea user. So if they’ll make that small investment, or you can buy it for them, you’ll be fine.

@Mark - I’m getting ready to finish a few apps. If I get a lot of money (I’ll be making things with other languages at the same time), I might buy and extra developer account for community publishing and take a percentage. I’m going to line up 4 apps, just in case of the worste sales ever. I’ll keep you posted.
Thanks!
P.S. Right now, I’m planning on already having about $550 in expenses a year due to me having to start paying for my hosting service and a dev account and a Pro GameSalad membership, so we’ll see. That’s a lot for a 13 year old $-)

You can make a code app, and share it with other codea users. We’re doing that right now.

If you have a mac (or access to one) and a developer’s account, you can make a codea app and share it with everyone, assuming Apple approves the app.

The point of Codea (if it has one) is to allow you to create things on the ipad itself - that you can now make them into an IPA is a happy thing, but not originally intended (I think). Making an IPA on the ipad itself would involve having an objective-C compiler and the rest of the toolchain on the ipad - something Apple would almost certainly have to cooperate with; those tools need (as they exist now) more resources (memory, in particular) than an ipad has. And you’d still need to get Apple’s approval to distribute the app, without jailbreaking or such.

@Bortels is right, the original idea was that you throw out your Codea code (which was being written as you tested and imagined your idea and was probably messy) and did a clean implementation in Objective-C or other language when you wanted to target a platform. That is, it was supposed to be like doing a sketch which you would later turn into a painting — you’d throw out the sketch and only use it as a guide to complete the final work.

However when we started seeing how polished some projects were getting we decided to open source the runtime to let people go straight into a native app. This had the added benefit of allowing anyone else to fix bugs and enhance the runtime.