Homework

Life isn’t positive (:expressionless:

FYI I might be a bit cranky today, I’m on 8 hours of sleep…

I would like to say @Dave1707 has helped me out in the past with problems and I try to say thanks for any help given.

@SkyTheCoder I’m on an average of 4 hours of sleep a day :wink:

@stevon8ter How do you survive…?

(I think one night a long time ago I only got 6… this is turning into loss-of-sleep wars)

@stevon8ter @SkyTheCoder are you serious!! I have a minimum of 7.
Surviving less sleep is not that hard, ask Bear Grills he knows how to survive everything

Yawn…

@Jessevanderheide Bear Grills being good at surviving is like a programmer trying to invent the sport of free-diving. It can’t happen.

@SkyTheCoder well I survive with alot of chatting with people from all over the world, I survive by smoking outside of my window while it’s freezing (that realy gets me awake), I also found at that if I put my night lamp on that I survive easier since it makes my eyes do less work…

Yeah but it’s only been so for the last couple of weeks/months

I think i’ll get some good night rest in the holidays, if some friends of mine can take over my night-shift on some game (yeah now everyone of our clan puts his account in vacation mode with me during the nights, that’s another way I survive, by having to maintain all of their villages xD )

@SkyTheCoder - 8 hours? That’s “a lot”? Let’s just say programming eats away my sleep to about 3-5 a night. About 15 hours on days I don’t have to do anything. :wink:
Anyways, it’s not that much the fact their asking for help, it’s their tone of voice and what their asking. “Can you make me a tutorial” is a lot to ask. If they say “Can you make a quick physics example with comments” or “how do I create a physics body”, that’s not annoying. Then there’s “Can you make me a firework effect”. I’m not going to make one, but if they want pointers or help on making parts of it, I’d be happy to. Sorry if that doesn’t make much sense. I’m on an iPod.
Thanks!

I’ve been sleeping a bit better lately, but a while ago I wouldn’t be able to get to sleep and would maybe fall asleep at 12:00 AM - 2:00 AM.

I just can’t stop thinking of what to code next…

@SkyTheCoder it’s 2:17 am right now here

And I always keep thinking code, tho I always stop projects way to early tho they would be awesome if I finished them

For example:

• codea multiline textboxes
  • codea platformer engine (create maps, game options, items, tiles (all graphics taken from spritesheets or pics))
  • codea spritepicker (I know you did one as well…? or was that someone else? But mine’s gonna be different)
  • codea 1 or 2 games I’m thinking of

Like I don’t wanna reinvent the wheel, but I enjoy coding stuff, even if it has been done before by someone else already

But yeah, well lads, I’m gonna smoke one, and if I’m still tired after feeling the freezy wind, I’ll go to bed soon (3hours later… hm I should probably go to bed soon)

It’s 5:20 PM where I am…

Cool, that mean I’m 9 hours in front of you xD

are there moderators on this forum that could move the inpolite and nagging questions? to give some context would be nice, code or a description of the problem to make you intrigued on how to solve it.

02:41 here with my quite new born son sleeping on top of me, so I dont dare to move. :slight_smile:

I like this forum btw, nice mix of people. :slight_smile:

I’ve been reading this forum a lot, without contributing much, for quite some months now. And as @Prynok said, the quality isn’t getting better. But I guess that can’t be helped, since the number of Codea users is growing steadily (Which is a good thing of course).

But honestly, I always liked this community because it is so small. It makes people less anonymous and friendlier.

@Kjell +1

I think people do ask for more than they deserve on here sometimes. But that’s only really when they haven’t bothered to get there themselves.
I have been on here for roughly a year now and from the start I’ve seen @dave1707 shipping off little codes and snippets to people left right and center, I’m sure you’ve helped me a couple times so thanks! The problem is this being such a small community compared to bigger forums (I like the smaller community, that way we don’t have a new John Doe on every day) and new users will read the forum and posts about tutorials and so on and believe me some of them do, and see the kindness of all of the regulars here chipping in to help each other, and think that it is handed out code when there are a few basic principles pointed out earlier.

But when a new user does follow tutorials and seeks to learn then it’s great watching them go from a newbie to a regular contributor, which I’m sure each new user is capable of given the correct approach!

@Kjell I really disagree that the forum is slipping. I just think that some people think that because the human brain is hot wried to find problems and can quite often over look the good things. :slight_smile:

I agree with @Luatee, If a new user takes the time to make an honest effort and try out different things, I will help them, but if they just come here expecting us to make an entire app for them, then…

Perhaps we are being a bit harsh. We should remember that everyone on here comes at Codea from a range of different levels of programming experience, different ages and different motivations for what they want to achieve.

As the forum (and Codea) gets more popular, the gulf between the advanced user and the beginner will get increasingly more pronounced - thats why (as I have said before) eventually partitioning the forum into different discussions areas to accommodate this makes some sort of sense and less likely to irritate to the more experienced users.

Unsure why people think the forum has got worse. Certainly there’s more traffic and more transient users, but the general enthusiasm and quality of discussions is still first rate.

There’s also nothing better than a good @Andrew_Stacey style lecture on mathematics when we get our terminology wrong :wink: