Could we have a strings slider?

@skar that’s what you get out of that? Did we read the same article? Avoid Hasty Abstractions implicitly means embrace well-thought-out abstractions, right?

Also I don’t keep current on FP and stuff like that—is there an OS running on it yet?

Check out the video included (it’s 30mins but really his example is 20 mins and I recommend 2x playback speed). In the video he shows a simple example of an abstract function “getDisplayName” and removes it entirely.

AHA means use abstraction once you really really need it. Ask yourself do you really really need parameter.string or is it a nice to have for your use cases.

I think most of the programming world has abandoned FP for OOP because it’s just easier to get stuff out quicker. But for example my employers website is now so huge, no single engineer knows what is going on anywhere and we spend hours going over things every sprint. Quick in the beginning, daunting in the late stages.

I’ll try to get a minute to look at the video, and this is, I think, a good illustration of one of the disconnects here:

do you really really need parameter.string or is it a nice to have for your use cases

Advocating a standard of only doing things you “really really need” may make some sense for the people working under the hood, i.e. coders—though it’s debatable even there—but the standard for making things other people use, i.e. UI, is clairty, and applying “really really need” as the bar for features that improve clarity is, I think, a category mistake.

…which is also part of why I ask if any of these ideas are running an OS yet.