Coding is hard :(

I have decided to give up coding because it is to hard I am not saying I hate codea but codea is to hard and @simon @jhon and any other developers working at two lives left have not but many tutorials for complete noobs like me therefore I am giving up coding so yea

Sorry to hear that @Noobatcoding It takes time to learn and you have to enjoy it. Why don’t you try backing up a bit and make some simple projects before trying to make games? It will give you a much better understanding.

Cheerio! Are you trying to aggravate people here before you go? You have changed the text from your initial posting and now have capitalised it (I suspect following on from a couple of requests on previous posts to refrain from capitals - not directed at you mind).

Programming is not easy and it’s not for everyone. There are plenty of real basic tutorials out there but they’re not going to make you able to code amazing full apps in a couple of hours. It takes hard work and persistence. Some people like to learn by themselves through examples. Others like to be taught formally through classes. It’s a shame that you’ve decided to give up, but probably best if you’re not willing to put the time and effort in to learn. There’s plenty of people willing to help you out on the forum, provided you’re willing to put in some graft yourself

Best of luck with whatever you do next!

You did the right thing Noobatcoding, I too really struggled to learn Codea, I put the best part of six months into learning it. I printed out the beginners guide by Ignatz and others I found, I even bought a book on lua programming from Amazon but in the end it was a total waste of time as I couldn’t even seem to grasp the basics.

Better to admit defeat than keep plugging away and getting nowhere.

@Paul123 - Now I’m turned around… So you’re telling him that it’s a good thing to not learn a useful skill, and now that you have that skill, it was waisted time? Or was that a minor typo?

No, I’m saying its better to quit when you know you’re getting nowhere than keep going at it for months and just get frustrated. I don’t have the skill, I still have Codea but I don’t have any skill with it at all. I also gave up. I don’t know what typo you mean, sorry I’m a bit dumb.

if you can learn codea then I’m sure its worth every minute and you’d make some great things but for people like the thread creator and me, its best to acknowledge when we’ve been beaten.

Yes, coding is indeed hard. If it wasn’t, everyone would be doing it! :wink:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned, if there’s something you don’t understand, put it on your brain’s back-burner and come back to it later. One day, you’ll wake up and have one of those Doh! moments where you just got something you never thought you would.

But if it’s something you like to do, you can find the level you’re comfortable with. There are those who just like to play with simple BASIC all the way up to those who eat, drink and sleep meta-programming. Everybody starts somewhere and moves on up to where they are satisfied with their results. And some of us are never satisfied until we master EVERYTHING! >:) lolz

Some people think they can buy Codea and write Cargo-Bot in a couple of hours. They don’t realize the amount of work and knowledge it takes to write something worthwhile. Instead of taking the time to learn programming in little steps, they pick games way beyond their ability and then give up when they can’t do it. My advice is to write something simple ( a couple of lines of code ) and keep modifying that until you understand what’s happening. Then write something else and keep doing that. Eventually they’ll learn enough to write a simple game. The Cargo-Bot type of games are years away. If they don’t want to learn the language first, then stop and don’t waste the time. If they don’t know what the commands do, how can they put them together to do something useful.

@dave1707 that’s how I learned codea as well

Tho I’m far from codea pro like you, and alot of other members, I am still happy with what I’ve reached in 4months

I learned by tweaking things and improving on the examples, and help from the community. Although i did pick up Codea thinking i’d be able to make games right away, i realized that was wrong pretty quickly. I’m definitely still learning (are we ever really done?), but I have now made a few games, some other projects, and I have improved tons since i started, simply by sticking to it.

@stevon8ter - I’m sure dave1707 will agree with me that the more you know, the more you realise you don’t know. There is always someone else whose knowledge makes you feel completely stupid.

So it’s a never ending journey of discovery - and may it always stay fun! <:-P

The title of this post says it all. You’ll get out of it what you put into it. Nothing more, nothing less. My interest in Codea is for the fun I get out of it, not the games I could write. @Ignatz, well put.

@Noobatcoding I was in the same situation your in. I bought codea expecting that I could just whip up a game in a couple days. But I couldn’t learn anything. I even looked at the codea for kids page for help :wink: I’m figuring out codea by doing what @JakAttak said improving little by little

I’ve set my sites way high for my first program, but I’m plugging along at a decent rate. I’ve also been programming for 30+ years. I have to say that this is an amazing community for learning and sharing and everybody has been most helpful. The graphical power of Codea is scary! and what you can do with it in 50 lines is… well, I don’t have the words. For a beginner, you get huge bang for the buck in what you can accomplish. =D>

I’d like to say in defence of us lesser mortals who don’t have the skill to learn coding that in reply to daves post, not all of us expect to program cargo bot as soon as we pick up codea. Yes I know some do but many of us do not. I will be honest and admit I thought that with 1-2 months of learning I would be able to do very simple games like I used to in basic, perhaps even that was asking too much but my whole point here is that not all of us useless people bought codea and tossed it in in the first week. Some of us have honestly tried our utmost and done our best to learn it but for whatever reason it didn’t happen. In my case it’s because I am just too stupid and my brain is incapable of understanding it.

I look at Codea as a sandbox. I sit in it and play. Some days my efforts produce satisfying results and some days I just kick my castle and start over. Frustration is normal when learning anything new and without any experience with coding, logic, conditional branching etc it is understandably difficult. My problem, which is equally frustrating to me is that I can read others code, understand the code, know what is happening, why it is structured thus but… (always the but) When I try and do my own thing my head turns to mush. Learning something doesn’t just require understanding it - you need to use it repetitively so it becomes second nature.

No one is born knowing how to program. If you say you can’t learn to program then maybe you’re trying to do too much too soon. Everyone learns at a different rate, and yes there will be some that give up too soon. Instead of trying to write a program, just sit back and look thru the built in doc. Read each command. I’m not saying memorize them, but just get an idea of what they can do or how they work. Think of them as tools that you use to build with, each one doing something specific. Break down whatever you want to do into it’s smallest parts and work your way up. No one builds a car in one step. It’s built part by part, each part doing something specific until they work as a whole. That’s how you learn to program. Know how each part works. You don’t have to know every command to start, or even after you write programs. Probably 10% of the commands do 90% of the work. You just have to understand that 10%.

@Pops+1
@dave1707+1

There aren’t that many things to know to write a simple program. Understand the 3 important functions, setup(), draw(), and touched(). Once you know what those functions do and how to use them, you’re well on your way. Use setup() to give everything a starting value. Use draw() to show things on the screen. Use touched() as a user input to control things. Once you understand how these 3 functions work together, you have the basis for any type of game. But it still takes a lot of code to do things. The majority of code will be in those 3 functions or called from them. You need the other tools (commands) to do things, so that’s why it’s so important to know what those commands are. Start with simple programs that use a specific command. Modify it to see what changes. Keep trying one thing at a time until you understand how it works and then move on. Don’t try to build a car when you only know how to use a hammer.

Things worth doing, those that will stick with you and be rewarding over the long term, are always hard. And they don’t get easy. Sure, you learn how to play those chords on the piano, climb that 5.3 route, and code that line-drawing function, but that only means you’re ready to try something more challenging.

If it’s good, it’s always hard. If it’s easy from the outset, it’s of limited value in the long run.