Codea runtime quits my app after some time [FIXED with Codea 2.3.3]

It’s clearly a graphics issue because there’s nothing else.

And when you’re simply drawing a bunch of small built in images over and over, I don’t see how it can be anything else but memory.

Anyway, if anyone wants to try collecting garbage and then sit and go blind watching it for two hours, be my guest!

@Ignatz I don’t think it’s a Codea memory issue. The memory cycles the way it should and doesn’t keep climbing causing Codea to run out of memory. And when the crash does occur and you look at the running iOS apps, the Codea program is still there along with the other apps. I think I’ll add the garbage collect to the program and let it run, but I won’t stare at the screen.

I added collectgarbage() in the draw routine and the program crashed back to the iOS screen after 18 minutes. Memory used was only 384 when the program was running.

I don’t think it’s fixable with a collectgarbage(). I tried it both in the test code and my app. The only thing I can say is, as more sprites you use as sooner it crashes: 1000 sprites = 5…30min, 200 sprites = 30min…3hrs. I have a simple page in my app with only 5 sprites and it crashes as well after some hours.

Again, as it never happened before the updates, I clearly consider this as a serious bug.

I’m developing my app now since summer last year. It only needs simple sprite usage. The animations are made with Simeons Juice lib, which also uses sprites. I can’t rewrite huge parts of my app just to code around a bug. The publishing of my app was planned in summer this year. A lot of artwork, SFX and music composing has been done for it too and it needs to earn some bucks soon. I’m really getting short of breath now…

Thanks for all your effort, testing and validation. I only can hope that Simeon takes a look as soon as possible now to this problem.

Cheers, Heiko

@Simeon, can you please look at this thread, if you haven’t seen it?

Thanks

Perfect, Codea 2.3.3 seems to fix this issue!

I ran the test for 3hrs without crashes.

Thanks Simeon and thanks to the contributors of this thread.