Codea Runtime Library

Is now available on Github.

http://github.com/TwoLivesLeft/Codea-Runtime

Please let us know how you go with it. (Also much thanks to @Dylan for putting in a ton of work to make it easy to use and self-contained.)

I think I speak for everyone here when I say, “WOOOOOO!” Great job!

Yeah, Thank you very much. This is going to be an interesting time for Codea and the iOS App store :slight_smile:

You might want to keep your version of Codea Runtime Library up-to-date for the first few weeks as we’ll be rapidly fixing bugs and incorporating changes.

Excellent! Thanks a lot! I will check it out as soon as I can make the time…

Yes this is so exciting! Thanks for all your hard work!

YES! Thank you! This is amazing! I can’t wait to see what we do with this!

Congratulations TLL, I’m sure it will be a busy time ahead!

Can I run my Codea project on Mac instead of iPad?

I now believe that this is the gate to having more professionals using Codea because we can now sell out apps. I’ll spread the word to real devs that are looking for good Xcode alternatives now.
Thanks! :smiley:

@sanit you could do it through the iOS simulator. However to do it properly involves updating the runtime to be Mac OS X compatible. This is something we would very much like to do — and given that it’s open source, others will be able to help out with.

Oh… And it’s time to make a new section “Announce your app on the AppStore”.

This almost makes me want a Mac again. Sadly, I can’t join in with this unless I can persuade someone with a Mac (and an App Developer Account) to let me publish my code with them.

But it’s absolutely fantastic to have even the possibility. I do know some people with Macs.

(Hmm, I wonder if running a Mac OSX emulator on Linux would be within the parameters of the Mac OSX licence given that the machine is actually an iBook, so it would be Apple software on an Apple machine, just with Linux in between.)

@Andrew_Stacey since OS X Leopard, the Mac OS X license has allowed virtualization. Mac OS X Lion allows 2 virtualized instances per machine — as long as the machine is Apple made.

Sadly, the last version of OSX that I own is Tiger (yes, I know it’s old. So am I.)

Stencyl (2D framework and IDE for flash / iOS / android and html5 coming soon) has a neat solution to the ‘needing a Mac’ issue, but I can imagine there must be a huge number of technical hurdles in implementing such a thing: if you’re not on a Mac, you send them your code from within the IDE, they compile it on their server, and send you back a built app. That said, you do still need a Mac to do the final App Store submission.

http://www.stencyl.com/stencyl/istencyl/

Why couldn’t 2LL offer a service where for a fee they will do all the work for us? It would be cheaper for us and 2LL makes more money. Win-win. Only downside would be that 2LL would look like they created the app, and they may not want to do that. Support would be an issue, also. However, if they also charged for the app it might be worthwhile for them.

@jlslate I am not sure of the legal aspects of that situation. That is, whether Apple developer certificates and the signing process can be enacted on behalf of another person.

By the way, to everyone using the Codea Runtime Library — you can actually target iPhone and build universal apps with it. Your WIDTH / HEIGHT variables will get set appropriately. I forgot to mention this.

You were featured on TUAW here: http://pulse.me/s/8zruw

I noticed that. Unfortunately Codea is described as running XML, and it makes it sound like we haven’t released the runtime yet.