Codea Freezes every time

@Jmv38 - I’m printing in every frame right now to find a problem! Sometimes its the only way.

@ignatz i know it was a pb on older versions of codea. You are on the newest beta…
@Richelieu6 what is your ipad version and codea version?

@Jmv38 - no, I’m on the last release

I added the print to the draw because i was desperate, and i can produce the problem wirhin 5 seconds so it does not get very far. Supressing the print does not change anything.

My ipad is at 7.1 (not the latest) and i am not sure about Codea but i would assume it’s the latest.

@Richelieu6 print doesn’t automatically fix the problem, you use print in the draw function to locate the problem

@Richelieu6 I think the only way to fix this is to post the code someplace. Then you’ll have several people hunting for the problem and I’m sure we’ll find it.

PM someone the code if you must

I have found my bug!!! I am so happy! I had put the project on hold because i could not make any sense of it. Now i will resume it. Yes the problem was in a loop and because i was using a local variable that i had define outside of it, inside an if statement. Stupid oversight as it is often the case.

I would have found the problem a long time ago but what through me totally off was the fact that the print statements that were before the loop never got printed to the console so i assumed that it was never getting there in the first place. I guess they must be put in a queue temporarly and stayed there when the loop begun.

It tought me also not to make major version change and then test. Try to test every little change one by one. Even if i already knew that.

Big thanks to everibody here. I am not use to go to forums much but It’s fun to see there is an active and helpfull community.

’ not to make major version change and then test. Try to test every little change one by one. ’
###Yes!
C’est du code, ce n’est pas le siege de La Rochelle…
:wink:

@Jmv38, breaking out le français so we know you’re serious :wink:

Je suis d’accord avec vous

@Jmv38 - I had never even heard of La Rochelle. You have a long memory, that was in 1573!

Whenever I am about to make major changes, I make a new copy of my code. I also often make copies of individual functions before changing them, and rename the original one or comment it out, so if I make a mess and need to go back, I can.

But I still have days when I go round in circles like @Richelieu6

Sorry guys, that was a joke related to his avatar name, Richelieu, who is famous for, among other things, having done the siege of La Rochelle… It took him 1 or 2 years before he could check his conquest program was running correctly…