Codea Craft 2.5.1 (93)

Hi @dave1707,

Not sure what is saved and have in the past mentioned my preference for saving text files only and project icon. What I was hoping wouldn’t be stored would be graphic and audio files. I thought the project files were saved as Xcode ready which could possibly include graphics etc.

@Bri_G Shouldn’t need to save anything that comes with Codea because that stuff can be restored by re-loading Codea. If the zip files continue to be that big, I’ll just keep using my backup/restore to save my projects.

@dave1707,
Is that so? so all the inbuilt assets are present only as links. OK.
What about the backgrounds, sprites etc, spritesheets, textures that are loaded from Dropbox, iCloud, Box, webpages etc. ?

@Bri_G I don’t know what all get saved in the zip files. I’m not part of the Codea team so I don’t know what they do or how they do it. I’m just saying for my own projects I save them in one big text file. I can restore one or as many of my projects that I select. I don’t worry about all of that other stuff because I only use what’s supplied with Codea. It’s still nice to use their zip files, but if they’re 55 MB, that’s too big to mess with.

@dave1707 the “Export All Projects” options just zips up the contents of your Documents directory excluding the example projects. Exporting a single project as zip just zips the project directory, including any project-level assets in the folder. I wonder if there is something in your documents folder that is preventing import from working.

@Simeon I exported 1 project to a zip file and saved it in Files which showed it with a size of 668 KB. When I tap on the zip file in Files, it opens Codea and just shows what’s in the image below.

EDIT: I have a few projects that begin with a . (period) so they stay at the front of the alpha sort list.

EDIT1: I renamed all of my projects that begin with a . to begin with a 00 . I exported a project to a zip file and I got the same results as the image below.

@em2 @dave1707 the folder “Inbox” is created when you attempt to import a project or files into Codea from another app.

iOS copies the file into Codea’s Documents/Inbox folder, then opens the Codea app and passes it a URL to that folder. Codea then imports the files into its Documents folder. I had incorrectly assumed that since iOS created the Inbox folder, it would delete it. But it doesn’t. We’ll remove that folder when you Export All Projects. And I think in a later build we might just remove the folder after every import.

@Simeon I did another export projects to see if I could figure out why my zip file size was 54.9 MB . I used iZip to look thru the zip file and I came across something I don’t understand. See the 2 images below. What is Inbox in the first image and why do I have 4 10.4 MB zip files in it. I probably did the project exports at some point trying to get things to work, but where is Inbox so I can delete those zip files.

@dave1707 oh! Inbox is the temporary folder iOS creates when files get passed into an app via URL. We definitely should ignore that folder when “Export All Projects” is pressed. Thank you for catching that bug.

@Simeon Not including Inbox in the zip is fine, but how do I delete the files that are there. That’s 40 MB of junk. Is there a way to make the Inbox accessible from Codea so they can deleted. I’m just wondering how many other temporary files iOS uses that are filled with junk that can’t be deleted. When I go to settings and select iPad storage, the area shown as other is about 4 times the size of everything else.

@dave1707 I’m making Codea delete that folder regularly now. You could probably delete it via the Files app as well.

@Simeon I don’t see it in Files. In Files, if I do a search for any thing with an In, I get a lot of Info Files which are property lists and a lot of other files with the letters In, but no Inbox.

@Simeon what do you mean? Is it supposed to be a location in Files?

Closing this thread. Discussion moved here https://codea.io/talk/discussion/8811/codea-2-5-1-95