Codea Competition: Survival games

@Briarfox - It’s fine. Don’t feel like you have to do this.

I want to :slight_smile:

@Simeon - What happened to your little submission, out of curiosity/

@Zoyt I think it’s an excellent idea but very challenging. You’re looking for complete games - I’d hazard a guess that loads of people on this forum would love to be in a position to upload a game to the apple store but due to circumstances (lack of time, inability to create good graphics, lack of programming knowledge) are unable to. I like your reasoning, but I reckon if people have a program that’s good to go on the apple store then this would be reason enough (rather than needing a competition here).

Perhaps a simpler, more constrained contest would drum up more interest. Something along the lines of: Create a clone of the lander game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Lander_(video_game)). To make it as accessible as possible you could provide some basic graphics (though people are free to use their own) to use as “I’m crap at drawing” tends to be a barrier to people programming games. I’m hazarding a guess that a reasonably competent programmer could throw together a version in a few hours, particularly if provided with the graphical assets. Beginner programmers may take longer, but a discussion thread on the various aspects ( how to get user input, how to draw the sprite) could assist.

Having said all that, and if there is renewed interest in the original competition I’ll put forward my side scroller tutorial game http://www.twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/2910/basic-side-scroller-code#Item_13
The second version in the thread with the bonuses and weather

@West - Thanks for the feedback. I was loosely following the rules of TTL’s one competition. I’ll make this not really a strict competition, but more of just any game related to lasting as long as possible. My goal for this was to inspire more code with Codea, and, in my opinion, when you are restricted to rules, it’s not as fun.
Thanks!

None of my prototypes are survival games, but nice idea initiative. Maybe you would get more submissions if you were only to show a game idea with code, but not a complete game. But of course, you select the rules. :slight_smile: