Codea Beta 2.3.1 (47)

Same problem like @TechDojo

@Simeon I fixed it but my question was about the runtime not being able to tell me at least the last CODEA source line before the error. I would think that even a problem in the C code would have this information to put in the error message.

I’ve also had “error:attempt to compare nil with number” with no line number, a few times. However, I am still on the previous Codea release so it is not due to any change in the current beta.

I can’t replicate it easily, but I will post an example if I can.

@Simeon I’ve been having trouble with the () key. I’m not sure if it’s iOS 8.3 or
the Codea beta. If I type the word print followed by the () key, the () don’t register. I found this because when I’m keying in code and type print followed by (), I notice the () are missing and I have to erase what I keyed and hit the () key again. Playing around, it doesn’t matter what’s letters are keyed, the () key doesn’t seem to register the first time on that line, but if I keep barely tapping it after that, it does show. It’s as if iOS or Codea is waiting for something else to happen on that line when the () key is pressed.

EDIT: It looks like it’s the speed the letters are typed. If I type print() fast, the () don’t show. If I type print() slow, the () will show.

EDIT: It’s how much time is between the last letter and the () key. I can hit a letter and the () key 6 times before it shows if I do it fast enough.

@dave1707 I’m suspicious that iOS 8.3 changed some fundamental stuff with the keyboard. Others have complained about the input accessory bar not “getting” touches too.

@dave1707 - It’s not only the () key. I’m having trouble with the other keys like the = key as well.

@Simeon Also having these problems, I have to press ‘=’ about 3 times before it shows up.

@Simeon - if it helps, I’m on iOS 8.3 but I haven’t loaded the beta, ie I’m still on version 2.3, and I’m not having these keyboard problems.

@Ignatz thanks for letting me know about that. I will see what I can find.

@Simeon, opposite of Ignatz, I’m on latest beta but not 8.3, and I also have no keyboard problems

@Simeon It appears to only affect the keys that have the grey dot ( multiple character keys ).

@Simeon, I went ahead and upgraded to 8.3 and now I have the bug.

@Simeon - actually, while I don’t have problems with = or normal use of keys, I went back and tested dave1707’s issue with () and I do have that problem, ie typing the () key quickly after (say) print means it doesn’t show up. You have to type it again.

(For me that’s not a huge issue, though, because I mostly use an external keyboard with individual brackets).

@dave1707 @Simeon - For me it affects all keys, such as the reference and arrow keys as well. Basically all of the extra keys behave like this for me, not just the multiple character keys.

@Simeon Here’s a stripped down example of code that caused an error message without identifying the line that caused the error. It was a mistake on my part and I was able to eventually find the line and fix it. The error message wasn’t much help in finding the bad line.

error: attempt to get length of a userdata value
function setup()
    tab={}
    table.insert(vec2(1,1))           -- I didn't add the table name
end

Thank you for the example @dave1707

I can see the issue with the keyboard. It looks like there is a delay after the last key you press on the “real” keyboard before the top bar starts accepting touch input. I hope this isn’t a case of iOS 8.3 breaking keyboards.

@Simeon I also noticed that I have to wait for a second before executing a program. If I key something and then hit the execute button to fast, it doesn’t register.

@Simeon - The keyboard issue may very well be an iOS 8.3 problem as I tried using the extra row of keys in other apps such as editorial and found the exact same problem.

@Saturn031000 thanks for the confirmation, I’ll file a bug report with Apple and see if there are any workarounds.

Now I’m getting the extra row of keys popping up over running code if I do the exit/renter that should bring up the hidden control buttons. The extra row stays there from then on, can’t get rid of it without dismissing app.