Codea 4 - Official Thread

Awesome, @John !!! I look forward to all of that :slight_smile:

If needed, there are fbx to gLTF2 model converters we can use on the web. I assume that means that Codea4 will be able to load gLTF2? It is my understanding that Codea now is only able to load successfully obj and fbx models.

Thanks again for all the work you and your team do on this project and for the contributions from the Codea community. I enjoy programming in Lua, and you’ve given the language wings to fly!

this just a nice to have but lately i’ve been wanting a way to change the editor font and maybe customize the syntax and editor color themes

Progress update?

How did you get access to Codea 4 anyway?

@moechofe Codea 4 is in Beta testing, so only the users that are beta testers have access to it.

@moechofe2 you can just send us your Apple email address and we can add you to the beta on testflight if you want

2 Likes

Does the Codea 4 beta replace Codea 3, or do the two sit side-by-side on an iPad? Do they share the same project space, or are the projects entirely separate? I’d like to try using Codea 4, but I don’t want to risk corrupting my projects, and I’d like to switch between the two during testing (with totally separate versions of the projects, i.e. the original on 3, and an imported copy on 4).

@blacatena It is actually Codea 3.6, installing it will replace the previous version of Codea. However, by default your projects will run with the Codea 3.x engine. You will need to explicitly enable the 4.x engine in the settings for your project. This will allow you to create separate projects just to play with 4.x mode, without impacting any existing projects

You can also downgrade/revert to the App Store version at any time, preserving your data

Finally, there is an option to export all your projects as a zip from the settings sidebar, if you need the peace of mind

Oh, I see…

So, question… I thought I saw screen caps with a sidebar folder structure (instead of the linear, flat tabs across the top). Is that a new feature in 4.0… or simply something that already happens when using Air Code? Or was that entirely separate (a developer using Xcode)? That is, is all that is changing with 4.0 the switch to the “modern runtime”?

If so, I’m a little disappointed. I so desperately need a hierarchical folder structure for my projects. I have just way too many classes, and breaking things into dependencies just isn’t alway practical.

That’s still in development and is coming. I’ve been experimenting with a way to conditionally enable it to use as a preview for existing projects and will release it when it’s more stable

Yay! That’s great… more stable is always preferable, but it’s just good to know it’s coming. For now I can slog through using dependencies, and refactor things when the (stable) feature becomes available. Now I’m excited again.

Hi @blacenta - noticed you mentioned Aircode. If you were hoping to use that on a PC/Mac in a browser - then I think V4 doesn’t support Aircode at moment. You can get up the first tab (Main) but not the others

Is there a “proper” way to programmatically determine which runtime is executing? At the moment, I just check if time ~= nil (meaning Modern/4), which is adequate, but if there is a correct way to do it, I’d rather use that.

Check if viewer.version exists. This is a table that contains major, minor and string for version info. This will be added to the old runtime when we get around to it so that you can check versions on both but for now it probably makes more sense than time

Hi @skar! Sorry for the late reply. ObjC support could definitely be added to Codea 4 too!

2 Likes

New to the beta: I don’t see how to enable the 4.x engine. I no longer have an iPad, so I run the iPad App Store version on my Mac, but the beta on my iPhone. Is the 4 engine not available on the iPhone?

1 Like

@gebloom - how are you running the Apple store version on your Mac?

The latest beta has an option in preferences to choose the version 3 or 4 latest, preferences in the Do menu.

how are you running the Apple store version on your Mac?

Catalyst.

“Do menu,” got it.

Thanks.

@gebloom - thanks for the reply. So you are using Xcode and catalyst to compile an app on a Mac. I used Xcode some time ago pre incorporation of Swift. After that I found Xcode difficult to learn. Just installed latest Xcode to see if I can get into it again - took ages to download and install.

Can you recommend any tutorials n the latest Xcode which can help me get over the learning barrier.

Sorry, I obviously gave you the wrong impression. I don’t use or know much about Xcode. I just meant that Codea for iPad can be downloaded from the Mac App Store and run via Catalyst. The TestFlight beta cannot be downloaded onto the Mac (unless there’s a trick I’m unaware of).