Codea 1.3

I know from work that my English doesn’t translate well to EU, even into English. I actually look forward to Engrish responses, they express the actual word choices better.

I’d expect we’re going to see physics, fonts, and perhaps a way to import images for use as sprites. That would be enough to qualify as huge in my book.

Mmmm - sprite import would be cool. Spritepacks better!

Fetching sprites from the web better still, but I don’t expect it. (Boo - I just want to get graphics like javascript does. Well, that’s not all I want to do, but it’s a great start).

To put some of you out of your misery… at least partially.

Physics is coming...

Neat! Time to go re-read my box2d api notes. :slight_smile:

there was a video of physics in codea… aarrrggghhh cant remember where it was!

i have a suggestion for the spritepacks: maybe some sprites that show the characters seen from side/back?

then the games where they walk look much more realistic :slight_smile:

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the lecture hall …

Physics is coming …

@Maxiking16

there was a video of physics in codea... aarrrggghhh cant remember where it was!

It was discussed in this thread:

http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/comment/1489#Comment_1489

Edit: Just watched the video again. Looks great John! (But then again so does the reflected sky and green leafy trees to northern folk entombed in the depths-of-winter.)

Well I won’t hijack, but I was about to create a thread on this… Sockets? Yes, but it would have to be ad-hoc :slight_smile:

Oh, ad-hoc. Special users could always get a seperate distrib from the Codea gods, that is loaded via itunes, that has support for all things you can do within the sandbox, but apple doesnt necesarily want on the appstore. Friends, testers, donations, forum experts, dunno, lots of possible ways something like that could magically be installed on ones itunes library.

Script library icon, that is visible in every project. Have a downloaded copy of lua.org RTFM handy for when say not on a hotspot for wifi only users (or me when i forgot to pay my 3g bill, saw i really could use that handy but copy paste/organizing is a pain. i was using a whole project to split it up into a few files, but you have to tab in and out of projects a lot).

Also, that script library is acctually a mini in-app browser, with scripts/examples actually being bookmarks. Allows for image/screenshoot links - whatever via the web. That of course giving HTML 5 support, which could always have “Save and Run As”, which could provide JSON/processing.js support. Sure that(processing) is out there already from some websites, but I like the have it handy option where I can have whatever code, examples, etc handy for not just Lua. Might appeal to others on the Appstore, which could in turn showcase the Lua side(Codea). Free advertising rocks. I can access HTML 5, JSON, Lua, Processing.js from one app, AND edit/code in it? Here is my money…

The last paragraph would provide users some ability (pc side setup required initially) to work with Ardruino’s, which, only has a couple apps on the store as competition. Bluetooth, wifi using UDP packets, or the headphone jack appear to be the non jailbroke interface usage…

Lock a project/read only to prevent accidents when examing code - “multitouch” accidents do happen.

Just a couple thoughts I’ve had. Really it is mostly organizing, and using stuff I already have at least examined before. Seems like a positive integration on a couple of these all around…

Oh! Script library RTFM iOS update, touching on what cant be done directly in Codea that Lua normally supports due to sandbox constraints. Say part of ‘system’, or ‘OS’ libraries ring a bell?

-Orange

Bortels, .codea renamed from .lua, or vice versa is a thought about codea only opening certain files… but that also goes back to my script library thought in above post :slight_smile:

@Blanchot oh thanks :slight_smile:

Physics is coming.

Makes me want to write a simulator in which many, many bodies pile up around a tiny iron throne.

@Mark haha.

@Mark - Or mabey the metal leaf of the apple symbol. Or mabey icons of different coding apps or rejected apps on the symbol. Haha. I’m entertaining myself.

Just got an alert from the issue tracker - looks like we get a significant upgrade to the sound API! Hooray, thanks TLL.

https://bitbucket.org/TwoLivesLeft/codea/issue/35/extend-the-sound-api

Here’s the sample code from the “Sounds Plus” demo, @Fred

There are so many parameters that we’re trying to find an intuitive way to edit them. Because it’s pretty crazy at the moment.

-- Use this function to perform your initial setup
function setup()

print("This example allows you to play with the settings for sounds, and also documents them")
    print("Sounds play on a timer using the settings defined above")

parameter("playDelay",0.1,5,3)
    iparameter("waveform",0,3,0)    
    parameter("attackTime",0,3,0.5)
    parameter("sustainTime",0,3,1)
    parameter("sustainPunch",0,3,0.0)
    parameter("decayTime",0,3,0.4)
    parameter("startFrequency",0,2,0.9)
    parameter("minFrequency",0,1,0)
    parameter("slide",0.9,1,0.96)
    parameter("deltaSlide",0,1,0.6)
    parameter("vibratoDepth",0,1,0.5)
    parameter("vibratoSpeed",0,1,0.5)
    parameter("changeAmount",0,1,0.6)
    parameter("changeSpeed",0,1,0.6)
    parameter("squareDuty",0,1,0.5)
    parameter("dutySweep",0,1,0.5)
    parameter("repeatSpeed",0,1,0.5)
    parameter("phaserSweep",0,1,0.5)
    parameter("lowpassFilterCutoff",0,1,0.5)
    parameter("lowpassFilterCutoffSweep",0,1,0.5)
    parameter("lowpassFilterResonance",0,1,0.5)
    parameter("highpassFilterCutoff",0,1,0.5)
    parameter("highpassFilterCutoffSweep",0,1,0.5)
    parameter("volume",0,1,0.5)
end

time = 0

function playSound()
    sound({ Waveform = waveform, 
            AttackTime = math.pow(attackTime - 0.5, 3),
            SustainTime = math.pow(sustainTime - 0.5, 2),
            SustainPunch = math.pow(sustainPunch, 2),
            DecayTime = decayTime - 0.5,
            StartFrequency = math.pow(startFrequency,2),
            MinimumFrequency = minFrequency,
            Slide = math.pow(slide,5) - 0.5,
            DeltaSlide = deltaSlide - 0.5,
            VibratoDepth = math.pow(vibratoDepth - 0.5, 3),
            VibratoSpeed = vibratoSpeed - 0.5,
            ChangeAmount = changeAmount - 0.5,
            SquareDuty = squareDuty - 0.5,
            DutySweep = dutySweep - 0.5,
            RepeatSpeed = repeatSpeed - 0.5,
            PhaserSweep = phaserSweep - 0.5,
            LowPassFilterCutoff = 1- math.pow(lowpassFilterCutoff,3),
            LowPassFilterCutoffSweep = math.pow(lowpassFilterCutoffSweep - 0.5,3),
            LowPassFilterResonance = lowpassFilterResonance - 0.5,
            HighPassFilterCutoff = math.pow(highpassFilterCutoff,3),
            HighPassFilterCutoffSweep = math.pow(highpassFilterCutoffSweep - 0.5,3),
            Volume = volume })
end

-- This function gets called once every frame
function draw()
    time = time + DeltaTime
    if time > playDelay then
        print("playing sound")
        playSound()
        time = 0
    end

end

That looks great, @Simeon! Using the sliders is a good idea to play around with the sound. We’ll code some pretty cool things with that!