Codea 1.2 is APPROVED

Let me know what you think of the new update!

Now that’s fast! Congratulations! :slight_smile: I will look into it as soon as I got my iPad. :wink:

Holy moly that was fast - WHAT HAPPENED?

Next rev, we all want ponies. :slight_smile:

Hindsight being 20/20, I think the prior slow approval time may have had to do with an approval backlog around US black Friday and/or turkey holiday.

No, it was due to us asking for an expedited review and Apple granting it. This caused it to go to a different reviewer than the one who normally handles the app, and since the update runs code it was treated with extreme caution and reviewed from scratch. (And we only asked for the expedited review because of the name-change situation.)

This is a great upgrade! Question about full screen… When I call WIDTH it is still the width before with the side bar, so now there is extra black space in one of my apps. Are there any plans for WIDTH to dynamically change in full screen?

Also, completely unrelated question, in the code editor view, what is the difference between the back button in the top left and the x button in the bottom left? If they both do the same thing, one should be removed, it’s kind of confusing. If they do different things it should be explained somewhere in the help section. I’m always worried about clicking the x button because I think it may not save my changes.

WIDTH should change when fullscreen mode is set. That’s a bug if it isn’t - I’ll look into it. Do you have some sample code that shows this issue?

Both the X button and back button are the same. Initially we only had the X button but found that bluetooth keyboard users couldn’t exit the editor, so added the back button. We could change the X icon into a back icon, if that would help. Your changes are saved with either.

I was curious as well. I was using WIDTH in setup() after fullscreen. It looks like WIDTH isn’t updated until the draw loop actually does it.

function setup()
    print(1, WIDTH)
    displayMode(FULLSCREEN)
    print(2,WIDTH)
    d = true
end
function draw()
    if d then 
        print(3,WIDTH)
        background(0, 0, 0)
        print(4,WIDTH)
        displayMode(STANDARD)
        print(5,WIDTH)
        d = false
    end
end

1	748
2	748
3	1024
4	1024
5	1024

Ah good catch. I’ll have to fix that.

So we had two 1.2 updates this month? Was anything removed from the first 1.2?

No, the first one was 1.1.2 (minor update), this is 1.2 (large update). The next one will be 1.2.1 (minor update).

Thanks Ipda41001.

@Simeon Ok, that makes sense. Yeah, to me the X seems like it could be a cancel button instead of a close button, mainly because there is already a back button up top. It may be nice if it was a back button instead to keep things consistent. But that’s just my opinion. I think as long as it was mentioned in the help section that it wouldn’t matter as much either way.

@Simeon: the update is very good, especially that we now have access to each pixel. Previously I tried to use the rect() with a 1pixel width and height, but this was slow. When it comes to filling polygons or other arbitrary shaped structures this might be very useful.