Business app..

Hello folks…
I have just got codea… Great app…
I am new to coding…I am a novice… So been using loads a tutuials on YouTube and such… So thank you guys. I’m learning so much…
So far, I have been creating Userform based applications in VBA. And using them to collect production data in my company…such as who has done what tasks and date and time the tasks where done…all that info has been recorded on a central database for me a access. And run stats on…
What I would like to create is a simple app for an iPad…purely to enter send names and dates through wifi to a database…is it possible?

I was thinking it would be nice not to type names. But just to pick names from a scrolling/rotating picker

And when done click send. And it sends all the info to me…

It’s possible, though I’m not sure that Codea is necessarily the best tool. It doesn’t have any UI elements out of the box, so if you wanted a scrolling/ rotating picker you’d have to make one yourself, or search the forum to find ones that others have made.

It probably won’t end up looking much like the standard pickers that are in iOS UIKit.

So, how do you feel about that?

If you’re thinking “that sounds like re-inventing the wheel, I just want to code my business app”, then Codea is probably not the right tool.

If you’re thinking “well, coding a rotating picker from scratch would probably be fun too, and I don’t mind it being a unique non-standard interface”, then Codea is fine.

Thanks for that…actually I think I’ll enjoy coding one…I’ll share it when I’m done. :slight_smile:

@Wolfie123 This isn’t a rotating picker, but it might work if you want to try it. Slide your finger up or down the screen to change the name. Tap the displayed name to select it.

function setup()
    rectMode(CENTER)
    names={}
    for z=1,20 do
        table.insert(names,"name "..z)
    end
    xx=1
    zz=1
end

function draw()
    background(0)
    fill(255)
    rect(250,400,200,30)
    if sel~=nil then
        text(sel,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT-100)
    end
    fill(255, 0, 0, 255)
    text(names[xx],250,400)
end

function touched(t)
    if t.state==BEGAN then
        if t.x>150 and t.x<350 and t.y>385 and t.y<415 then
            sel=names[xx]
        end
    end
    if t.state==MOVING then
        zz=zz+t.deltaY/10
        xx=(zz%#names+1)//1
        xx=math.max(1,xx)
        xx=math.min(xx,#names)
    end
end

Wolfie 123, does that mean that you know how to run a business making apps because I am dying to find out how to do that will you please send me in the right direction and at least give me some instruction whatever you can do will help thank you