Buggyz : A fast moving retro slot racing game set in the future!

Great job. Very interesting blog. First time i have looked at tumblr…strange it does not seem to have a date associated to each entry- or did i miss something?

It has a time relative to now (e.g. 6 hours ago, 2 days ago, etc)

@piinthesky - thanks! As @West says - the date-stamp is relative to the current time, but i think you’ll need to roll over the blog post for it to drop down. You can see all the posts by going to the ‘Archive’ button on the left. :slight_smile:

@Ignatz Ok. Im not going to touch anything 3D for a loonnnnnnnggggg time.

@andymac3d you asked the question: What do people feel about the name Buggyz ? On your blog, but don’t see anywhere to respond so I’ll post here instead.

I too am not so keen on Buggyz as a name - the z is very 80’s,90’s rather than the era of the graphical style your going for. Also, I associate buggy with dune buggy in a vehicular sense (bouncy) whereas yours are much more elegant and glidey, but with a bubble or pod element. I get the sense that the cars are weaving through a futuristic cityscape, so something that sums that up would be good…but I’m struggling to think so something suitable.

Air cars? Hover racers? Aeromobiles? Levi-cars? Meh…

Sorry - that’s not been much help

Pod racer, Scalevitrix, Space race, The long and winding road? I agree the name could be refurbished but it’s probably just a concept name anyway?

@West - apologies for not being able to post a reply (seems that functionality has been temporarily disabled on the blog for some reason - will look into it!).

I had a long think about the feedback regarding the name last night - and I think you’ve nailed it in your post regarding why it doesnt work. (i’m starting to dislike it as much as everyone else now!).

Going back a few months when I started writing the game, I did like the idea that it would have certain elements of track cycling in the Velodrome e.g. some tactical components regarding not getting boxed in, a frantic final lap, lycra(?!) etc… So i scribbled in my sketchbook the words ‘Hoverdrome’ - does this strike a chord?

I do like the word ‘hover’ in there somewhere as it kind of is reminiscent of the retro-futurist 1950’s vibe of the game.

Any other suggestions? Might open this up as a competition and a prize for the winning name. :wink:

p.s. I did chuckle to myself last night, as I’ve been quite nervous about showing people up to now - really lovely feedback about the graphics/game etc… but the name sucks! lol :wink:

Reminds me of a vintage Spacely Sprockets design. Rorry Rorge - Couldn’t resist. On second thought it might be more of a Cogswell Cogs design. Either way it is nicely retro looking. Astrodrome.

@andymac3d - maybe the word “magna” fits well in the name, because back when we were lads, one of the big sci fi themes was transport by magnetic levitation, and maybe that’s how those slots create the hover effect.

All good ideas! Keep 'em coming!

@Ignatz - yes! I like the ‘magna’ or ‘magneto’ name… :slight_smile:

@Pops - Astrodrome? I like that one - instantly transports me back to the 50’s!

p.s. @West - the blog ‘issue’ is now fixed.

How about drawing inspiration from car models from that era? Pacer, skylark, majestic…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1950s_automobiles

@andymac3d - lol, a magnetic version of your game from back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T5XmC2ECV8

Very nice!

How about a free copy of the game to the person that thinks up the winning name.

Lol, joke :wink:

It’s really hard to come up with a cool name, I love your game and it reminds me of several things. 1: futuristic cartoon the jetsons, 2: TCR (total control racing) of the 80’s where you could switch lanes.

As for names, I suck at names like I suck at coding but I’ll toss a couple in, just for a laugh.

Magrace
Slotglide
Podracer
Laneracer
Hoverpod

@Ignatz - that’s pretty neat! The car looks like its escaped from a Monopoly game. I think their ‘follow camera’ code needs a bit of work :-/

@Tyson - I was thinking more a holiday to the Bahamas - but if your happy with a copy of the game that’s absolutely fine :-D. I really like your names - Podracer would get Mr Lucas and his minions onto me, Hoverpod works really well :wink:

@West - nice link… Think i’ll incorporate elements of this somewhere.

Right - better get back to coding Proto v3!

It’s been a bit of a while since I posted an update to Buggyz. So, I thought I’d post a few screenshots and vids as we head toward the next phase of its development. (These are a bit back level from where I’m current at, but this should give you the gist!)

Progress has been steady but not as fast as I’d like due to work commitments and other projects, but a tend to do a bit every few days and it’s almost at the point I’m happy to finally beta test.

Thanks to the feedback on here (@Ignatz et.al) and to some of the regulars who tend to lurk on the dev-blog (especially @West ) who’ve been really supportive!

Core gameplay is almost there and I’ve now got most of the themed zone/tracks worked out - just need some time to finish and update the graphics as a lot of what you currently see is still ‘placeholder’ stuff…

Anyway, enough of my idle chit chat, here’s a few things to have a look at and I’ve got another cool update next month…

Buggyz Prototype 2.5:

Screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tu1acyaybehguut/2014-06-07%2001.14.20.png

Video:

http://vimeo.com/102998513

Dev-blog:

http://buggyz3d.tumblr.com

Twitter:

@Buggyz_Game

Thanks chaps and let me know if you’ve got any questions or constructive feedback!

Oh yes, it’s all written in Codea! :smiley:

Looks great, especially the cool cartoon effects, I’m really excited to see the final product!

@andymac3d I like its cartoon style’s

Looking great, as usual. I’ve been loosely following the development blog, but never got around to making an account and actually following it. (I’ll make that number of followers 4, right now.)
My only suggestion right now is to make a touch down state for the left and right buttons. Other than that, looks great!

Excellent stuff. Like @Zoyt, I’ve check in on the blog a few times but don’t actually have an account to follow.