Bug

All the Astroids are disappearing, and all sorts of stuff happens. Could sombody tell me what I did wrong???

-- Galaga

-- Use this function to perform your initial setup
function setup()
--Astroid rsm
--x 
Astroid1X = math.random(0,WIDTH)
Astroid2X = math.random(0,WIDTH)
Astroid3X = math.random(0,WIDTH)
Astroid4X = math.random(0,WIDTH)
Astroid5X = math.random(0,WIDTH)
Astroid6X = math.random(0,WIDTH)

AstroidStartingY = HEIGHT --moves down,animation in draw function

Astroid1Speed = math.random(3,7)
Astroid2Speed = math.random(3,7)
Astroid3Speed = math.random(3,7)
Astroid4Speed = math.random(3,7)
Astroid5Speed = math.random(3,7)
Astroid6Speed = math.random(3,7)

Astroid1Y = AstroidStartingY
Astroid2Y = AstroidStartingY
Astroid3Y = AstroidStartingY
Astroid4Y = AstroidStartingY
Astroid5Y = AstroidStartingY
Astroid6Y = AstroidStartingY

end
function draw()

Astroid1Y = Astroid1Y-Astroid1Speed
Astroid2Y = Astroid2Y-Astroid2Speed
Astroid3Y = Astroid3Y-Astroid3Speed
Astroid4Y = Astroid4Y-Astroid4Speed
Astroid5Y = Astroid5Y-Astroid5Speed
Astroid6Y = Astroid6Y-Astroid6Speed

if Astroid1Y == 0 then
        Astroid1Y = AstroidStartingY
        Astroid1X = math.random(0,WIDTH)
    end

if Astroid2Y == 0 then
        Astroid2Y = AstroidStartingY
        Astroid2X = math.random(0,WIDTH)
    end

if Astroid3Y == 0 then
        Astroid3Y = AstroidStartingY
        Astroid3X = math.random(0,WIDTH)
    end

if Astroid4Y == 0 then
        Astroid4Y = AstroidStartingY
        Astroid4X = math.random(0,WIDTH)
    end

if Astroid5Y == 0 then
        Astroid5Y = AstroidStartingY
        Astroid5X = math.random(0,WIDTH)
    end

if Astroid6Y == 0 then
        Astroid6Y = AstroidStartingY
        Astroid6X = math.random(0,WIDTH)
    end

-- This sets a dark background color 
    background(40, 40, 50)

-- This sets the line thickness
    strokeWidth(5)

-- Do your drawing here
    sprite("Space Art:Asteroid Small",Astroid1X,Astroid1Y)
    sprite("Space Art:Asteroid Small",Astroid2X,Astroid2Y)
    sprite("Space Art:Asteroid Small",Astroid3X,Astroid3Y)
    sprite("Space Art:Asteroid Small",Astroid4X,Astroid4Y)
    sprite("Space Art:Asteroid Small",Astroid5X,Astroid5Y)
    sprite("Space Art:Asteroid Small",Astroid6X,Astroid6Y)
end

One other small thing. You don’t need pushStyle and popStyle unless you are changing things like colours, line widths etc. I guess you could say pushMatrix takes care of physical movements like translation and rotation, and pushStyle takes care of your makeup :wink:

@RonJeffries, for formatting in line code, you can use the tick mark ` (under ~ on the keyboard). I fixed your comment above.

@RonJeffries Yes, the <= is automatic, just like a bunch of other things that I do. The “a,b” in the for statement is also automatic. I don’t think I’ve ever used the _ for a variable name in anything I’ve ever coded. I think my coding now is more out of habit than thinking about what I do.

Just for fun, here is an object-oriented version. I added some random rotation.

--# Asteroid
Asteroid = class()

function Asteroid:init(x)
    self:prime()
end

function Asteroid:prime()
    self.x = math.random(0,WIDTH)
    self.y = HEIGHT
    self.speed = math.random(3,7)
    self.rot = math.random()*2*math.pi
    self.rotadd = math.rad(math.random(30,90) - 60)
end

function Asteroid:draw()
    pushMatrix()
    pushStyle()
    translate(self.x,self.y)
    rotate(self.rot)
    sprite("Space Art:Asteroid Small",0,0)
    popStyle()
    popMatrix()
    self.y = self.y - self.speed 
    self.rot = self.rot + self.rotadd
    if self.y <= 0 then 
        self:prime()
    end
end

--# Main
-- Galaga

function setup()
    asteroids = {}
    for i = 1,6 do
        table.insert(asteroids, Asteroid())
    end
end

function draw()
    background(40, 40, 50)
    for _,asteroid in pairs(asteroids) do
        asteroid:draw()
    end
end

Of course the rot is screwed up because I’ve been working in radians all day, but rotate() is degrees. Grrr, sorry. Try

self.rot = math.random(180)
    self.rotadd = math.random(20) - 10

@RonJeffries - a small thing, but if you write sprite("imagename"..), Codea has to load the image from disk 60 times a second. It’s better to readImage into a variable as part of setup, and sprite that (from memory instead of disk).

i note in the table example, dave typed <=. we would mostly do that automatically. that was the bug in the original.

also in the table example, i’d recommend for _,b in pairs(tab) since the first value is not used. helps keep me from looking to see where it’s used :slight_smile:

@RonJeffries How could I not have noticed that!?! Thanks Again

When I run my code, the astroids disapear and stop and all kinds of wierd stuff. I will try your’s and see how it does. thanks!

try changing == 0 to <= 0. i think they are not coming out exactly 0

It worked perfectly, Thanks sooooo much. @dave1707

@infiltration265 I’m not sure what you think is wrong with your code. The asteroids move down the screen and when they reach 0, another one is created at the top in a random x position. Here is the same code using a table. What is you code not doing that you think it should.

displayMode(FULLSCREEN)

function setup()
    tab={}
    for z=1,6 do
        table.insert(tab,vec3(math.random(0,WIDTH),HEIGHT,math.random(3,7)))
    end
end

function draw()
    background(40,40,50)
    for a,b in pairs(tab) do
        sprite("Space Art:Asteroid Small",b.x,b.y)
        b.y=b.y-b.z 
        if b.y<=0 then
            b.x=math.random(0,WIDTH)
            b.y=HEIGHT            
        end
    end
end

Thanks on the sprite: didn’t know that.

On the pushStyle() I do know that but do them as a matter of standard practice. I debated with myself whether to leave them in so that Infiltration would know about them or leave them out as unnecessary in this case. One side lost :slight_smile:

As an extension of my image comment, if you have a scene where several images (or shapes) never change position, it pays to draw them all to an image in memory (using setContext), and just sprite that image in draw. Works nicely for custom backgrounds.

My opinion is that if you’re going to write a class for others to use, then you should use push and pop so that your draw function isn’t affected by the settings made outside of your class. There are a lot of interesting little hints that people share every now and then. I wonder if a discussion should be started to list these as we go along. I looked in the Wiki and didn’t see anything unless I missed it. For example use an _ for a non used variable, readImage into a variable instead of sprite(“imagename”), etc. No big explanations, just small hints that people come across.

Of course you’ll use push and pop in a class, but there’s not need for pushStyle if you’re not changing any styles

The FAQ is a good place for hints, about time it was updated with useful stuff

I agree on its not being needed. I’m developing the habit of doing both, for a reason:

Suppose we have our “coding standard” be always to use both. Then no matter how we may change our actual draw, nothing can ever screw up the other guys. We pay a tiny performance penalty, perhaps even measurable if you are a god of metrics. :slight_smile:

If, on the other hand, we put in only the one we need, and we subsequently change the drawing code (which I do frequently as a program evolves) then we must, on each edit, decide whether we need to add the calls. If we get it wrong … bad stuff happens.

My style is to develop safe habits that require me to think as little as possible. As my colleague Chet Hendrickson says “A mind is a terrible thing to waste – so use yours sparingly.”

Other styles are certainly possible. Everyone gets to make their own tradeoffs.

One more thing. Many of my programs are turning out to have a main draw: either in Main or in some Universe class, that has all the objects and draws them. The example Dave did above, as well as mine, are examples. In that case, I am leaning in the direction of putting the pushes and pops in that master loop, so that the convention is that the individual draws do not have to do them (unless they want yet another push for some reason). That will make the coding of the individual draws simpler and reliable. So I think that’ll be a good habit to develop. We’ll see. Of course if it isn’t, I’ll stop doing it. :slight_smile:

@RonJeffries We don’t have any coding standards. It’s up to each person to code correctly if they’re going to release an app. As for our examples here, just about anything goes as long as it works.

I expect that everyone has their own coding standard. When people are beginners, their standard is usually a bit weak, because they do not as yet know what works for them and what does not. Thus it is my practice to show people what I do and explain why I do it.

What others do is up to them, entirely.