Apple notified us of violations (re downloadable code)

I note that Lua Coder still allows export to email.

Hah - had hoped, yes.

@Maxiking16
Yeah, but that is the point I guess, they don’t want it to be automated. I think its mostly for security issues. Someone could find an exploit in Codea and iOS which allowed them to write a Codea program which did something malicious on your device (or did a jailbreak perhaps). If its very easy to just run arbitrary code then it makes that leap of getting the person to run it much easier.

Ideally they don’t want apps like Codea on the store at all, but they can’t ban it without banning the likes of Unity or other game engines with scripting support (well they could I guess, but they haven’t).

Oh okay so this keeps beeing allowed - so filesharing is no problem anymore :wink: just getting it on the iPad is one…

@Dylan - oh yes they are very narrow-minded in this …

But - that security issue still makes no sense. You have to manually import a .codea file, and you have to start Codea and run it, and before it runs the code is right there for inspection. And even then it’s sandboxed.

You could make exactly the same observation about JavaScript.

Yeah I agree, but I’m just trying to work out their reasoning. I’m sure they have some. Flash seems moot at this point, so security seems the only other alternative (and they probably internally audit their javascript interpreter, so its probably pretty safe.)

Mmm… Good point, they can fire their own devs if they mess up.

I suspect at this point it’s blind adherence to rules. Which doesn’t help us.

I wonder if it’s worth pointing out to them there are multiple third-party programs that could bypass this, not to mention jail breaking…

We’ll sort this out.

It might mean no more easy project importing until Apple changes their stance, sorry everyone.

“Ideally they don’t want apps like Codea on the store at all, but they can’t ban it without banning the likes of Unity or other game engines with scripting support (well they could I guess, but they haven’t).”

For a short while they did, and it was only because so many big name games were written in Unity or with scripting languages that they changed the rules from “only ObjC” to “no downloading code”.

But it’s such a shame… Codea is such a fun programming environment and has already such a vibrant community. I hope you find some compromise with Apple.

FWIW - if they do crack down on “no importing .codea” - but we can still export codea - I’ll have a perl script that, assuming you can mount the ipad as a directory (ie. jailbroken or using libmobilewhatever) will crack open the .codea file and put it onto the ipad in the right place. I already have all the parts - just need to put them together.

And if they forbid export - I’ll just do it both ways. Again, you’ll need to be able to mount your ipad, but that’s how it was when Codea first came out…

I’m very sorry to hear this guys but I confess that it doesn’t surprise me. I don’t think that arguing with Apple will help* (nor I fear will ranting against Apple or discussing alternative work-arounds here on this forum).

*Especially after hearing what happened to MIT’s Scratch.

But - it feels SO GOOD. :slight_smile:

Mr. Bortels you are a gentleman and a scholar sir.

I live to serve.

Read about Scratch - pity. But - I am hoping the environment is different between now and 2010, especially re. Flash. Sigh.

Sorry to hear that guys. Now that our projects are more complicated, it will be extra work to copy and paste if we want to share.

That’s too bad. Did Apple not notice this feature before or they did and are changing their minds about it now?

Only thought that comforts me is that companies that put up barriers to innovation eventually get replaced, and that cycle is specially fast for big tech companies.

Simeon just got off the phone with the reviewer. We get up to 2 weeks to submit an update which removes the functionality.

Is it just import, or is it export as well?

Is it believed that this alternative would be acceptable?:

I leaned of iArchiveLite from this forum before .codea files.

I have downloaded the entire source code into it which is technically downloading code but it’s really only a archive reader and editor.

If Codea could download .codea files in a non-active state it would be the same. If there was functionality to copy the files to active projects it is no different than cut and paste that was done before .codea files. This is in line with the “copy this file into my project” feature that has been discussed.

Apple may only want a speedbump. Considering the app is not banned shows some wiggle room between Apple policy and this prototyping environment.

Now this speedbump makes it more difficult for novice users. However, to make code easy to install for novice users it would have to be made into a real app with the future open source engine. Having easily downloadable code go though the regular app process is more in line with Apple’s philosophy.

Yes, I’d like things to stay as they are but if a few more clicks is all that is needed, it’s a small price to pay for couch coding.