API ideas for next version

Zoyt, gotta call you on this. You joined the forum in Decemeber and the statement they “finally got” your point on was made in the prior month. So, unless you like Merlin are living backwards in time, I think you are coming around to thier point of view.

I know. I missed it before.

I like the Apis to be high level. makes prototyping faster. I think that should be high priority. low level access would be nice, but I think that should be less emphasized.

@tommy7xp that’s our feeling as well. Getting stuff on the screen as quickly and easily as possible is the philosophy.

There are pros and cons.

TLL providing a high level interface means the barrier to entry for end-users is lower, and there’s a good chance performance will be better - both desirable.

But - TLL has limited time money manpower - it may be the case where it’s a low level API now, or a high level API… Maybe someday. Fonts were like that - before TLL built them in, we rolled our own. They weren’t as good in most ways, but they did have the advantage of taking zero TLL development time.

I’d rather have a low level API now, or soon, than a high level one maybe never. I believe that if we can solve certain packaging and distribution issues, there are enough end users willing to wrap low level API code and share that TLL could spend their time on other stuff we can’t do.