An official roadmap for the next Codea

It’s undoubtly that Codea had pleased and surprised many people. It’s reviewed, at least mentioned, virtually in any online websites and weblogs that talk Apple. It’s not a small achievement as Codea is targetted for geeks or geek-wannabes, not casual users. This forum had got many users who seem to care about Codea. People are then starting to ask questions, look for more tutorials/documentation, post their videos on YouTube, and also suggest many things for better Codea. You know, less bugs and more features. :smiley: In relatively short time, Codea already got its own community. Again, it’s not a small achievement. Congratulations to Codea authors! :slight_smile:

So, in order to keep development focus and prevent users asking the same features again and again, I suggest to TwoLivesLeft as the author of Codea to publish an official roadmap and development timeline for future version of Codea. This should give users what bug fixes and/or new features can be expected on the next versions and when they are planned to be delivered to the users. Of course, no need to gives EXACT date for the timeline, say “at the (southern) fall of the next year” would be sufficient. It should also mentions what kind of features that should NOT be expected from Codea with brief explanation of the reasons. This informations, I believe, will make Codea’s users feel secure about the future of Codea.

What do you think? :slight_smile:

Agreed, I will keep everyone up to date about the following:

1. When the next update is likely to be submitted
  2. What it will contain

However at the moment we are dealing with an Apple review issue relating to Codea. We’re hoping they will let it through in the next few days.

Wow, that’s FAST, @Simeon! Thank you. :slight_smile:

Will the next update include ability to import sprite packs without hacking? I would love to be able to use my own sprites without having to do so much work :stuck_out_tongue:

Bieber: Not the next one, that’s only the name change (and bug fixes), which we have to get out as soon as possible.

Could you start an issue tracker (bug tracker)? That would make it easier for users to report bugs and avoid duplicate bug reports and feature requests. Issue trackers can generate road maps.

If you have an issue tracker, there should be a link to it from within the app.

We can do that. I haven’t encountered any really nice issue trackers though. Do you have any suggestions?

Youtrack is excellent.

Pivotal tracker is also excellent http://www.pivotaltracker.com

We set up and used Bugzilla with great success at my work - it worked so well they got rid of it, sigh. The perils of working for a big company.

There’s a part of me that says “find one written in lua”, just because :slight_smile:

Thanks for the ideas! We will look into one.