I’ve been looking into other Lua languages to build my app I really want to make in and found Moai. I really like all the features it has, but it’s docs are VERY unclear, it has a community that won’t answer your questions, it’s buggy, it’s slightly hard to use, and it’s just not the level of Codea. And I was looking because I needed Xcode export because TLL is not really rolling it out or giving us info on their status. Anyways, I found a few cool things in Moai’s API that would be cool in Codea. Here they are:
- Text boxes- What are they? Advanced text rendering. In games, as many of you know, text is the most used object and people love cool looking objects. You can do quick things like curve it, or things like change font… etc. It makes it easy to do things like you do in basic HTML text. In the string, just put something like
<c = r,b,g>or font changes or stuff like that. You can curve the code in a few lines of code. You can also make it have an effect like it’s typing it out. And much more. It keeps us from putting text into an mesh, changing it, and reseting it when we change the text.
- Easy object transformations - Basically, you tell an object to do a transformation in a certain amount of time with the option of fade in and out.
Coroutines - AKA threads
- Custom fonts - Self explanatory
- Sounds - Import sounds
- Location and compass sensor
- Particle system
- Game center support - I don’t expect that from Codea
- Easy File IO for local storage and global storage
- Animation API - Very simple one
- Things like notifications and notification badges - If Codea does turn into a real Xcode app environment, it might be nice to add some real iOS things like this.
topOfKeyboard()command - Well, can you imagine that…
- Open source
So why don’t I just switch? Codea is the bomb. Ditto TLL. And the community. Their community shuns newcomers and only pays attention to new code. So I try and get the best out of Codea by giving them suggestions. Thanks! Please suggest adding some of these in 1.4! REALLY looking forward to the network API in 1.4 with the saving images. Some of these features would also be nice in 1.4. THANKS TLL!