a SOLUTION for SOUND! audio()

I have been thinking a ton about sound since I started using Codea,

I have searched the forum and found that there have been many others that share my interest, but for the most part what was needed was unknown, and I have put a great deal of thought into a simple way to extend codea that would allow low level DSP and much better control over sound, and it requires one main thing:

there needs to be access to the main implicit sound thread used for supplying the buffer directly.

I hear you say: “but there already is that, the sound.buffer object”, and you are partially correct.
but there is no place to access this on a sample level.

it would look like this:

function setup()
  --setup here
end

function draw()
  --draw here
end

function touch()
  --touch here
end

function audio()
  --AUDIO HERE
end

this audio() would be working on a buffer level (analogous to the frame level of the draw thread) and calculations performed within it would be done in a way analogous to image:get()/set() API,

setting a single value in the buffer with
audio:set(buffer, value)
getting a value from the audio input with
audio:get(buffer, value)

the sound object can easily be a part of this, the point is accessing the in and out buffers
A buffer is just an array of 32 bit floats -1.0 to 1.0 ,
or if desired, ints for fixed point 8/16/24 bit which would be translated to the native output.

I am assuming this would provide access to the framework that codea is currently using to establish an audio output, but in a lower level way that makes sense along the current established paradigms.

It would only require the addition of an input stream from the mic, and even that is not up-front critical.
but that would add another thing that many people would definately like : CAMERA + AUDIO

this would also potentially make SCREEN CAPTURE with voiceover and sound effects possible

this thread is already there and working. We just need access to it. Then inspired people like myself can make things like the SODA / Cider of audio.

the audio thread would not be essential to use for many people who are ok with using the current sound techniques and would provide backward compatibility moving forward.

We have frame level, pixel level, gpu level, interaction via touch level, why not audio level?

directors cut:

I have done extensive experiments using sound being called in the draw function with buffers of 44100/60 but that breaks down because of the nature of a draw thread, it has to be flexible in length and timing to accomodate for overload of draw requests it can slow the rate. I tried using DeltaTime in various ways to generate the buffer length, but that also falls short for many reasons as it relies on the last DeltaTime. I will continue to try for the sake of my own fun, cause I like making things do stuff they are not usually meant to do (im a hacker :P`)

the fact is there is no current place to call a sample level sound object that is able to manipulate or deal with sound, and that is Ok, as Codea was made for games and simplifying the process of creating them, and sound is usually considered a secondary element in that endervor. But there has been access to a per frame draw function, and a per touch function, etc… and there isn’t currently an actual logical place to put a sound function within that framework because the reality is it requires a root level sound function.

the API and current sound functionality appear to be not fully working, which I have experienced directly and confirmed through many threads. this is because things are fully structured in an atypical way that I can fix. I want to fix, and it will be easy for me to do when I have access to the thread. For that matter, I know DSP inside and out and I am loving codea, and want to help grow it. This is the only thing I need.

I just was looking at the TouchLua+ app for iOS to see what that’s like, which for the most part is nothing in comparison to Codea, but they seem to have an audio solution similar in some ways to my proposal.

You will notice for the most part it appears to be the same functionality as Codea’s sound() API, but when you get down to the user buffer there is a bit of a difference which presents a similar but potentially more compatible variation on my proposed solution. I will put the user buffer section first and then the full API.

playbuffer – play user buffer

played  = audio.playebuffer( buffer, volume, pitch,  pan )

in:
	buffer : table with the following 
		rate : number, sampling rate - usually 44100 Hz
		channels : number, mono (1) or stereo (2)
		bits : number, bits per sample, should be 16
		data : table having sound samples (table length = rate * channels * time_in_sec)
	volume : number, 0 to 1.0	(default is 1.0)
	pitch : number, sound pitch (default is 1.0)
	pan : number, sound pan -1.0 to 1.0  (default is 0.0)

out:
	played : boolean, true if no error

ALSO NOTE SAVEBUFFER to WAV file, this would be very useful/critical for music/sound design apps:

savebuffer – save user sound buffer as wav file

saved  = audio.savebuffer( file, buffer)

in:
	volume : string, file name (path), you can use relative path
		to access resources path use ‘@resources/filename.ext’
	buffer : table with the following fields
		data : table having sound samples (table size = rate * channels * time_in_sec)

out:
	saved : boolean, true if no error
Audio Library

Audio Library enables to play music and sound effects.

Audio Library Capabilities:
- Play one music track at once
- Play multiple sound effects synchronously
- Create and play your own sounds and save them as files

Module name is audio. 

playbg – play background music

played  = audio.playbg( file, loop, volume, pan )

in:
	file : string, file name (path), you can use relative path
		default value is the one provided from preloadpg()
	loop : boolean, repeat playing (default is false)
	pan : number, sound pan -1.0 (far left) to 1.0 (far right),  (default is 0.0)

out:
	all parameters are optional 
	(if you want to provide a parameter all previous parameters should be 
           supplied)

preloadbg – cache background music into memory

loaded  = audio.preloadbg( file )

in:

out:
	loaded : boolean, true if no error

setbgvolume – change background music volume

audio.setbgvolume( volume )

in:

bgvolume – get background music volume

volume  = audio.bgvolume( )

out:
	volume : number, 0 to 1.0

pausebg – pause playing background music

audio.puasepg()

bgpaused –  check if background music is paused

flag = audio.pgpaused()

out:
	flag : boolean, true if background is paused

resumebg – resume playing background music

audio.resumepg()

stopbg – stop background music

audio.stoppg()

mutebg – mute background music

audio.mutepg()

bgmuted – check if background music is muted

flag = audio.pgmuted()

out:
	flag : boolean, true if background is muted

unmutebg – unmute background music

audio.unmutepg()

bgplaying– check if background music is currently playing

flag = audio.pgplaying()

out:
	flag : boolean, true if background is playing

playeffect – play effect sound

played  = audio.playeffect( file, volume, pitch,  pan )

in:
	pan : number, sound pan -1.0 (far left) to 1.0 (far right),  (default is 0.0)

out:

volume, pitch, and pan are optional 

preloadeffect – cache effect sound into memory

loaded  = audio.preloadeffect( file )

in:

out:
	loaded : boolean, true if no error

unloadeffect – uncache effect sound from memory

unloaded  = audio.unloadeffect( file )

in:

out:
	unloaded : boolean, true if no error

unloadalleffects – uncache all sound effects from memory

audio.unloadalleffects( )

playbuffer – play user buffer

played  = audio.playebuffer( buffer, volume, pitch,  pan )

in:
	buffer : table with the following 
		data : table having sound samples (table length = rate * channels * time_in_sec)
	pan : number, sound pan -1.0 to 1.0  (default is 0.0)

out:

savebuffer – save user sound buffer as wav file

saved  = audio.savebuffer( file, buffer)

in:
	volume : string, file name (path), you can use relative path
	buffer : table with the following fields
		data : table having sound samples (table size = rate * channels * time_in_sec)

out:
	saved : boolean, true if no error

stopalleffects – stop playing all sound effects

audio.stopalleffects( )

stopeverything – stops background music and all sound effects

audio.stopeverything( )

pauseall – pause background music and all sound effects

audio.pauseall( )

allpaused – check if all sounds are paused

audio.allpaused( )

resumeall – resume palying all sounds

audio.unmuteall( )

muteall – mute background music and all sound effects

audio.muteall( )

allmuted – check if all sounds are muted

audio.allmuted( )

unmuteall – unmute all sounds

audio.unmuteall( )

@AxiomCrux I am interested in opening up Codea’s sound generation tools to allow for the kind of things you are interested in. This issue now is just finding time while working on things that will benefit the majority of users. I think a sound overhaul is definitely due and something we will consider in our roadmap.

@John I may have overcomplicated my explanation / idea by posting the follow up to my initial idea. The realization I had which I was initially trying to propose is likely relatively simple to impliment, and paves the way toward a new and more open ended solution without requiring too much of an overwhelming overhaul up front.

to summarize:
Initially all that is needed:
The addition of an audio() root level function in the main tab that provides write access directly to the output buffer that is currently under the hood / behind the scenes.

I assume this is a power of 2 like 128 / 256 / 512 samples, which is pretty standard.

I have thought through quite a bit more, if you would like I can elaborate and if you have a chance to look over my initial post, let me know if this seems a viable route.

Just dropping In to show my support for this!

I appreciate the afford you put into this, but I think your api proposal is a little over complicated… or maybe you choose weird names… anyway… I second the idea of having more audio options and hardware access (like the mic). Hopefully in the near future after ARKit was added :smiley: \spoiler\

@se24vad @Kirl @John @Simeon
– found this response in my browser cache on my ipad, i suppose i didn’t send

the actual idea i am trying to impart : I believe there is a readily achievable route that has already been working inside CODEA, and I believe it will take minimal time and effort to achieve in comparison to the awesome and complex new craft tools, as it mainly involves exposing something that is already there.

The idea is that there clearly must be an audio buffer/stream currently operating behind the scenes that just needs to be exposed to us. All of the common DSP / real-time audio programming APIs I have looked into or used directly have a common core:
—a thread that fills an array (buffer) of 128, 256, 512, or 1024 values
—values in this array are 16 bit int or 32 bit float type
—these represent audio amplitude levels, usually -1.0 to 1.0 floats, centered around 0.0, apple even takes care of

The array, our output buffer, allows us to ensure that audio will not have dropouts or clicks/pops when CPU calculation times fluxuate.

Since this is pretty much how all digital audio works, I assume in CODEA there is a thread that is filling and pushing out this buffer to the iOS audio stream. what I propose is simply wrap that as I mentioned in the original post:

Add A global thread alongside draw() and touch():

function audio()
  --AUDIO HERE
end
~~

In order to keep compatibility and ease of implimentation, this could be done so that there is no change in the current way sound works at all unless the function audio is declared in the main tab.  In this way you wouldn’t need to risk anything as people like myself play with it and test / use it to create and easily port BOATLOADS of opensource dsp and saturate our own little sub-community.

I mean shoot, if you want to make it really easy and powerful, you could just add bindings for libPD / heavy or AudioKit.  That’s 

only run  at the just 
this audio() would be working on a buffer level (analogous to the frame level of the draw thread) and calculations performed within it would be done in a way analogous to image:get()/set() API,