A more hands on way of learning lua

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows a more hands on way of learning lua. (Like it teaches you how to write a code and then has you do it.) I’m reading books on it, but my progress is slow and tedious and I’ve figured that was because I’m going about learning it all the wrong way. Would really appreciate it if you guys could help. Thanks.

There are some blogs and tuts on the wiki and this one is really good:https://coolcodea.wordpress.com. You could look at the example projects and try to understand how they work. Or just try and make a game, start simple and build it up, if you have any problems just ask on here.

@Progrmr235 I can’t say much as I am still a beginner in Codea, but I was really confused about a month ago when I bought Codea. What helped me a lot was as @Coder said visiting cool codea by @Ignatz. There is also a thread at the top of Discussions called FAQ which has a list of wikis and tutorial websites. I also learned a lot from trying to make games. They often started out very basic, but end up being quite cool in the end. One tip: Just don’t give up. If you feel that your game idea has concepts that are too difficult, try to understand them and continue on. The forums are very helpful. Try searching your problem and if you can’t find anything about it, start your own thread. As I have already learned, all the members on the forum are very helpful and willing to answer your questions. If you still can’t figure it out, try something else and go back to it later. There is no point in completely skipping a concept as you will have to use it eventually.

My personal favorite is this: http://tylerneylon.com/a/learn-lua/
Even if you think you know everything about Lua, I learned a bit when I browsed it.

Also look at the step by step projects on the wiki link above. They start simply and add features, one step at a time.

One way I learn is to take a command I don’t know anything about and write a small program that uses it. Keep changing any parameters it may take and see what happens. The only way to know about something is to use it and the more you use it the more you’ll know when and how it can be used. I still do that now because there’s still a lot I don’t know about Codea and Lua.

@Ignatz what wiki links? Are you talking about the ones on this forum or on an other site?

The wiki link on this forum

And @dave1707 what do you mean by writing a command? Do you mean try to make new commands or look at other scripts and try to read and break it up and make simple programs that execute and show what the lines of codes I don’t understand do?

I think he means a command asin a function like

tween()
--or
mesh()

Ah, thanks guys

@Progrmr235 @Coder is correct. I’ll look at the built in reference ( math.sin, math.cos, physics.raycast, etc. ) and write little programs that use those functions. I’ll try different things until I understand what they do and what they would be used for.

@Progrmr235, i’m experimenting with something where you would write some ‘code’ in plain english (ex: draw a rectangle with: x = 100, y = 200, width = 100, height = 100) and it would do that as well as show you the same code in Lua/Codea format (ex: rect(100, 200, 100, 100))

Would that be helpful?

@JakAttak +1 I wrote a class as a test to evaluate text that says what values to animate using tweens for an attempted slideshow program. If you want, I can share it. (The code worked, but I got bored with it and gave up on the slideshow part.)

Maybe @JakAttak. Let me know if it works.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

@NatTheCoder You should take a look at this: http://www.brainboxx.co.uk/a3_aspects/pages/vak_quest.htm
It’s UI isn’t great but it will do the job in telling you the best way you learn. It’s only short and if you get aesthetic/visual as your learning type you’re on the right track, anything else and I’d take a look at that learning style as most tutorial videos are aesthetic. I myself am a kinaesthetic learner who shifts stuff around 'til it falls in place.

Working in a teaching environment (not as a teacher) previously I have had experience with this and can certainly tell you that kids who are taught with their own style excel, this isn’t just for kids either, some of us go our whole lives without knowing.